Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,864   Online: 948

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Ikonta?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Appel
    My only quibble, and it is a small one, is that you only get 11 frames. I suppose that is worth the trade off for having a reliable mechanism.
    You can get 13 frames out of them actually. You just need to know the trick!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Enlighten me!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim
    I'm pondering perhaps getting more into medium format, but I want to do it relatively cheaply. Zeiss Ikon Ikonta cameras seem to be a good way to do this. I've looked at various models, but the Super Ikontas are the ones that stand out as the best bang for your buck (as long as you aren't looking for mint cosmetics - that can cost you a pretty penny). Does anyone use these? Can you post shots from them? I posted a WTB link on rangefinderforum.com for the non-rangefinder 521/16 model, just as one to test really. Any experience would be appreciated.
    Suggestion for a really cheap introduction to MF - the Kodak 66 Model III. This is a relatively new camera ("only" 40 years old), has a nice f4.5 lens and a 5-speed shutter, takes 120 film (unlike the vast majority of Kodak folders), has a 2 1/4" format and can be yours in mint condition via e-bay for $50, possibly even much less.

Shooter
    Holga
    Oh wow, bought many of these trying to get the right one. Get a tessar if you want sharp images, else novar for the Holga effect. Have a look at a few of my images taken on the a Super Ikonta 534/16 which I picked up for £145; oh there's some holgas in the collection too;

www.icon-photographic.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LAMitchell
    Oh wow, bought many of these trying to get the right one. Get a tessar if you want sharp images, else novar for the Holga effect.
    If this was supposed to be a joke, sure fun it ain't. Novars are EXCELLENT lenses, which compare to Tessars IMHO and IHO of many other posters here, as well expanded in the suggested parallel thread.

May it be, perhaps, that you didn't tried "many" as pretended, but one single (defective or most probably altered) unit?
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Holga
    Jump down the newbies throat why don't you!
    I have experienced six Zeiss camera's putting many a roll of film through them. That doesn't make me an expert but I think that justifies an opinion. The lenses are okay but the sun dosen't shine out of their apatures. As with the Holga they have character which could be what you want, just dont expect the same as a modern day MF. At the same time, I am using a Zeiss MF as my main camera which has a Tessar lens and I think it is fantastic. What I was trying to put across before you tried to choke me is dont expect too much. Geeze, you really know how to welcome people don't you? I'll go away now and cry in the corner after being shot down.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Newby???

See, you pushed a delicate button. Ikontas are being collected very intensively recently, and that raised the price of Tessar units (explicitly those on Synchro Compur) to the stars. There's nothing bad in the collecting thing itself of course, but for some reason I hate with all heart seeing these cameras go into some rich businessman's shrine rather than in some young unemployed photographer's hands.

That said, Novar Aanstigmat units are much less sought after, and they are an extremely valid and cheap alternative for beginners. P. Cancarini Ghisetti and D. Cecchi in their book "Fotocamere ed obiettivi Zeiss" supposedly attribute their production to Schneider-Kreuznach under license, which speaks for itself about quality. Which I can personally confirm, and I'm very sorry if you had such bad luck to meet only bad units on your road. If you bought six and none was good, man, you should really try some wodoo.

The Holga is a cute little camera with a lot of legacy, and of course the expected performance of lenses dated 60 years can't be the same of current optics. But don't you think that stating that a Novar Anstigmat Super Ikonta shares the same quality of a Holga may put a beginner who wants to keep it cheap and asking for advice on a wrong track?
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Holga
    Okay yeah you are right on the newbe looking at my join date. But look at the posts, all of which are recent so yeah I joined and never posted/lurked.

The Holga, bit in recollection was a bit strong, you will get a useable image just a little different to what most might expect, non coated lenses, etc. What was meant is these lenses do have a character i.e. the colour and contrast similar to the Holga, scan06 was on a Holga. The inkfet image on my site was taken with a Zeiss 6x9 with Novar lens. Scan03 was with a Tessar, gives you an idea of differences.

I chose an Ikonta because I wanted to get back into MF and they folded to a compact size. The 534/16 is a beutiful piece of kit and it is loosening up the more I use it. But they are old camera's and they are collectables so you will pay top price for a good working example. If you got time though buy a well used tatty looking one and get it cleaned up, then you will have a camera for life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've kind of decided that, since I recently decided to pick up a 35mm only film scanner, I'm not going to get a MF rangefinder yet. At the moment I'm looking at camera bodies with TTL metering and an LTM mount. Heh. Leica. Oh boy.

Shooter
    Holga
    Leica's NOW you are talking collectibles, beutifully made and yes I do have an M6 which I used a lot for street photography. Images are sharp on these although you are restricted to the size of neg. I personally prefer MF because it is easier to print and scan, it also has a better tonal range. 35mm is convenient though and you wont be disappointed with the camera.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin