Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,793   Online: 1022

Thread: Yasuhara T-981

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Yasuhara T-981

I saw the price on the Lomography site and cringed. Granted, it's a pretty nice camera and that includes the lens, but I thought that they were cheaper than that originally. Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about this camera? I shot a PM to Stephen Gandy over on RFF to see if he could shed some light as to whether or not he has some left over.

Shooter
    35mm

The price is very much out of line

The research I did into the Yasuhara indicated that the man wanted to produce a Leica-type rangefinder, and let the design and production costs get seriously out of control.

Consina stole the guy's march by reengineering a cheap, proven SLR body into a rangefinder body. I have a CV Bessa R with Leica thread mount Cosina (CV) lenses and they all perform very well together at 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of equivilent used Leica equipment. (The word "equivilent" would upset Leica Forum members, but when I can get 85% of the quality for 35% of the price, it's a no brainer. Gandy goes into that in detail.)

Were the Lomography folks marketing the Asuhara? If so, he's running out of marketing channels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes.

If I'm going to get a Leica mount rangefinder it's going to be an actual Leica. This would have just been yet another body for my Russian lenses. But not at $600. I'm pondering saving for an M body now...seems to be the best way to go. Most likely an M3.

I'm a Leicaphile myself. I know the Voigtlander equipment is good, but when I can get an M3 for the same amount used as a new R2/3A, I don't really see why I shouldn't get the Leica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep in mind that the Lomography folks try to sell a color flash Holga for $70 when freestyle sells it for $35. (They do throw in a roll of film and two AA batteries for the extra $35) There might be a less expensive source out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Asked Stephen Gandy and he hasn't seen anymore. He also says that they suffer from light leaks...maybe they *were* made for the Lomo crowd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim
    Asked Stephen Gandy and he hasn't seen anymore. He also says that they suffer from light leaks...maybe they *were* made for the Lomo crowd.
    According to Stephen Gandy the Copal shutter on the Yasuhara is not entirely light tight - unlike the cosina voigtlander which uses a double shutter to ensure light tightness. Apparently this is a problem which only afflicts focal plane metal shutters - cloth Leica type shutters are unaffected. I would suggest buying a Voigtlander instead.

Hope this helps,
    Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephanie,
    At $600+Us I would just hold off save more money and get a Leica M3. Then again I am biased as I have an M3.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin