Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,246   Online: 964

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Second Canon body recommendations.

I have a P. I wear glasses. The 35mm framelines are a little hard to see for me so I'm thinking of eventually picking up a second body. The VI or the 7 both seem good choices, but the 7 is almost winning out because of the 85mm frameline. What would you do?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Are you settled on a Canon body or would you consider something else?

If I were you, I'd look at a Bessa R. For about the same amount of money you'd spend on a 7, you could get the combo kit at CameraQuest which comes with a 35mm f/3.5 lens. The R also has a GREAT finder with selectable framelines for 35, 50, 75, & 90mm (I wear glasses too and had no trouble seeing the 35mm lines) + a built in meter.

Something to think about....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One thing I don't want when I go looking is a 1:1 finder. I'm going to use my P for 50/100, but I'd like something that I can use with wider lenses...28/35. The VI is appealing because it has variable magnifications depending on which framelines you choose.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't think the Bessa R has a 1:1 finder. If I'm correct, the R3A is the only Voigtlander camera that does.

The Canon VI would be good, though. From what I've heard, it's a great camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon 7 vs. P or VI has been argued for years over on the RFF. I've always preferred the 7 because of its excellent viewfinder. The VI series cameras use reflected frame lines, not projected like the 7, and the viewfinder of a lot of VI-series cameras tend to be somewhat "flary" today. Many on the RFF will argue otherwise. Only advice I offer is to try both before you buy and see what works best for you.

Jim Bielecki

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin