Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 813

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kiev 4a

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

There are too many mechanics on this thread.

If you try several films through the camera is may increase the gaps between frames.

If you are using a J12 then some overlap is possible.

If the camera is very worn, then the drive gears may be damaged. And you may need to strip and repair, cannabil parts or bush

But the most frequent fault is that the clutch mechanism between the sprocket shaft drive and the film take up has not got the correct amount of friction, it is a slipping clutch, it needs to slip.

Never had one with too much overlap before all mine start about correct and then open up the gap as the take up spool fills. Makes filing negatives difficult.

How easy is it to rotate the spool forks with the camera shutter wound on? Is the force required the same in both directions?

Noel
    Last edited by Xmas; 12-01-2010 at 01:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spellun

T42

Shooter
    35mm

New York Second

There are too many mechanics on this thread.
    Not for me. I appreciate the various angles of view. Of course, one has to sort through them carefully, since anyone can be a self appointed "expert" on the www. But that's just part of it.

I would not want anyone who uses and knows the Kiev 4a not to express a helpful opinion, even if it is an imperfect one. Others reading this thread will right a wrong idea in a New York Second.

Henry
    A Certified Dinosaur
    Nikons F, F2, D700, Leica M3, & Kiev 4a

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

I'd check that the screw in the centre (i.e. coaxial with) the forks that drive the film take up spool is not loose. It has quite a large head but it is not an auto wheen lug not, it should be tight but not torqued up.

If it is loose counter hold the forks with padded pliers while you nip it up.

You can strip out the 'slipping clutch' withot liftng the top plate, by undoing the coaxial screw, cleaning the fibre washers that act as the clutch, and replacing, in the same sequence.

Normally this clutch is way to tight and will pull flm past the teeth on the sprocket shaft increasig the spacing and tearing the film

If you are unlucky the bush that the fork shaft rides on can be worn and this may compromise the wind on gears. If the camera has been used as a pro camera in the FSU this is possible.

If you are going to use Keiv's or Contax II(I) then you are forced to maintain yourself or buy a replacement when broke, as the replacement cost is frequently less than a pro repair + postage, unless there is sentimental valus in the camera...

Noel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin