Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,101   Online: 892

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kiev 4a

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Kiev 4a

I get some overlap of my negatives with my KIEV. Is it worth to get it overhauled and adjusted. Is this a complex procedure ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BBonte
    I get some overlap of my negatives with my KIEV. Is it worth to get it overhauled and adjusted. Is this a complex procedure ?
    I don't know but if you are prepared to try a yourself look at the Kiev Survival Site.

Hope this helps, and good luck,

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BBonte
    Hi,
    some questions in order to establish what could be wrong:
    -is the overlap regular, does it overlap the same amount on each neg or not?
    -does the shutter fire every time after you have wound up the film to the next number?
    -when you've taken off the back of the camera, and you put a finger on the film transport 'tandwiel', does the cogwheel move a little bit back and forth (not more than 3 mm) or not? And does the transport cog wheel move synchronous to the film winding knob and if not, does the moving halt at the beginning, the middle or the end of the winding movement?

We can probably tell you more about the complexity of the operation when we have the answers to these questions. PM us if you'd prefer to continue this in Dutch instead of English.
    Hope this helps,

norm
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Working on a Kiev / Contax is usually more trouble than folks of our era are used to.

By all means have a crack at it yourself, but understand you probably will kill it.

The Kiev can be a very, very good camera. It wouldn't hurt to pay to have it fixed, but there aren't many technicians who really do a good job.

I'm not usually morose, but this is a case where getting to know the work involved, and who will be doing the work, is important.

Even more frightening than the phrase, "OH, I've ALWAYS WANTED to work on one of those" is, "Yes, sure. Easy."

You might take a look - as well - as this Contax site:

http://www.zeisscamera.com/Contax/Tech2.html

good luck.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Usually some overlapping on Kievs can be related to incorrectly adjusted friction unit in a fork that drives the take-up spool. It can be fixed very easily with no problems - just check it first (try to rotate the right fork with your fingers, it should move but not too easily). In your case this fork can be off its profiled square pin (to which it's fixed with a screw) - check it too, and fix it by placing it correctly. Usually the service of this friction unit solves all problems with overlapping - and the friction is adjusted by placing or removing washers under the fork. Not a difficult job at all, and Kiev can be VERY good.

Cheers from Moscow, Zhenya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BRAVO ZHENYA

Old Contaxes have been my 'hobby cameras' for a long time.
    I picked up a Kiev to take into the kayak, or fishing.

I was shocked when I saw the results. I expected good results, but not the superb
    pictures I got. Well, even considering the photorapher ! Great cameras.

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The breakage of taking spool driving fork is the most frequent disease of the Kievs, as I know. The overlapping issue indicates that the tensioning spring inside the fork is too weak, or the screw in it is undone. The assembly of this unit should be as following: a driving shaft with profiled end (comes from the camera, rotates when you cock the shutter), a tight tension spring put on this shaft, a washer (or couple of them) over the spring, a fork itself, a washer over it, a profiled (!!) washer, a screw. The profiled washer should be meshed against the profiled end of the shaft, that's essential to get it all working well. It's not very easy to do because of the spring, but it's still quite feasible without camera's top disassembling. The tension of the spring is a crucial parameter - it should be not too tight nor too loose, and if it's loose the frames overlap. At first, it's better not to disassemble the fork unit, but to try tightening the screw - again, it shouldn't be overtightened, because if it's not meshed with the shaft, it's easy to damage the both. If that doesn't help, and the tension is too low, the unit should be disassembled, cleaned, NOT lubricated, and the spring should be tightened by either placing more washers over the spring, or by a careful pulling (can't recommend it, the spring is very strong). Again, check the correct meshing. When you're done, take a blank spool of any film, remove the lens, set the shutter on B, and draw each frame's outlines through the bayonet opening with the pencil, while the shutter is open. You'll see if the frames are still overlapping, or you're done. That's all not too difficult - I've done it for many many times, believe me

Cheers, Zhenya

PS. Don, I am so glad to hear that you love the pictures you can get with your old Kiev It's a superb camera, I've got one by myself, with hand-picked set of lenses (35, 50, 80, 135) - it's a real gem.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thank you everybody. Give me some time to check it out. I will come back to you after work this evening.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    With a set of miniature screwdrivers, some tweezers, a soldering gun, a handfull of old 35mm film canisters, some post it notes, a d****** camera, some patience and of course the Kiev survival site mentioned by Lachlan above, you can do a lot of repairs on you Kiev. I love my mine and like Don, I take it wherever I don't want to take my Leica or Contax. It takes wonderful photos.

Also check out Classic Camera Repair Forum http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/ and do a search "+kiev +spacing".

Good luck,
    James

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Overlap is regular and about 0.5mm to 1mm. Only 3 out of 36 frames did not have any overlap. Seems to get worse in time.
    The shutter is firing every time when I cock the shutter.
    The taking spool driving fork is very firm when I hold it with my fingers and moving very synchrously with the knob to cock the shutter.The spool itself is loose in the fork but I suppose that is normal to allow friction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin