Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,566   Online: 790

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Voigtlander Prominent lens question

I've got a Voigtlander Prominent with the 50 f2 lens. I was carrying it in my backpack and got bumped against a wall. The front rim of the lens got bent. Does anyone know a good repair service that could re-true the lens rim? The metal is not cracked, and the filter threads seem ok. I don't want to try and bend it back myself as I'd just put marks in it with my needle-nose pliers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SK Grimes, Marflex, any first rate shop.

Watch out if they say, "OOOH, I 've always wanted to work on one of these ! "

Ought to be a place in DC.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've straightened out a few of these by pushing the dent out using a small wood dowel, which wont leave marks on the metal or hurt the threads --a soft wood will sink into the threads. Since the prominent lenses are pretty heavily built, you can try gently hammering out the dent by tapping the wooden dowel with a small hammer if the force from trying to push it out wont cut it. It helps a lot if you can cut out a matching semicircular wood trough to hold the lens so that you wont push the lens rim out too far.

good luck

Tim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I've got a Voigtlander Prominent with the 50 f2 lens. I was carrying it in my backpack and got bumped against a wall. The front rim of the lens got bent. Does anyone know a good repair service that could re-true the lens rim? The metal is not cracked, and the filter threads seem ok. I don't want to try and bend it back myself as I'd just put marks in it with my needle-nose pliers.
    There is a tool available for doing exactly this, a little screw spreader (like a sort of reverse vice) with two different diameters to suit different lenses. It's not expensive, and it works: I have one. Unfortunately I've forgotten the name of the place I bought it. Microtools, maybe?

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin