Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,541   Online: 1090

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kalart RF and upgraded lens

When it comes to range finders I'm not the most learned in the group. I have a Busch Pressman C which came with the Wollensak 101 f 4/5 in a Rapax shutter. I would like to change it out for a Schneider 150 in a Copal 0 which will physically fit on the camera.

The question is what do I need to do to adjust the Kalart Range Finder to agree with the new lens? Do I need to do anything with the mechanics other than readjusting for infinity and close focus? Do I need to change the activator arm, not sure of the technical name, or are they specific for the lens?

That's about it, I need to know, well just about everything except how to change the lens out.

Thanks for any help if anything I could always just use the the original lens and shutter which are in great shape.

Curt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Oh yea their fun.

Here's what I found by working on a friends and mine. First make sure you have a proper size screw driver. Second don't get overally strong with the screwdriver, meaning that it's easy to break the slotted heads giving you no options for replacement unless scavaging parts. I found that a kalart is a compromise of abilities. Either the short focus is good or the long, but not both and perfect. If your a stickler for absolute critical focus good luck. As far as I am concerned these rangefinders are for just that, ranges and stop down shooting. You have to generally adjust and check, over and over at three stages of focus and then check again. The instructions are at the graflex.org site. Beyond that have a goooood time. :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt,

If you haven't yet tried the camera out with this lens, you should probably do that before going to the trouble of resetting the rangefinder. Just compose on the groundglass for now.

I have a Busch "C" as well and have used a 127mm on it as a portrait-length lens. Not sure whether I'd want 150mm on there permanently, but perhaps for a 2nd lens.

If you haven't attached the lens yet, you're probably going to need a new lensboard as the hole in your existing board is probably not the right size. Depending on the age of your camera it may take one of 3 styles of board: the very old square ones look like a breeze to make, the more common flat boards with rounded corners (and screws in each corner) are not too bad, and the later version with some sort of projection on the back of the board which is supposed to be a real pain to make but can be bought on ebay.

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I had the lens off and then put it back on last night after going over the Graflex.org adjustment for the Kalart. It's not the readjustment but I wondered if the setup was adjusted right in the first place. This whole thing started when I was checking to see if the Wollensak 101 was a lens worth keeping. I had shot a half dozen negatives and they were fuzzy. I put the lens back on as I stated and checked the infinity focus on the ground glass with my Peak magnifier. Sure enough the the lens off. I had to move the infinity stops out. Good thing I has a .050 allen wrench. The image is sharp and the RF appears to be working. The pictures I took were all at infinity so I need to do some testing. I think I can go with the RF once I know what its limitations are. The camera is in great condition and I have four new Grafmatic holders and six new in box SF holders along with some used holders. I got a case made for it also and a flash that I probably won't use but it fits in the case and is a conversation piece. I have one of the "23" roll film holders and a Graflok back so I can use them. It started out as a nice camera to have for fun but as usual got out of control over the year I have had it.

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you shoot all sheet film ... what type are you using, and how do you develop it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using Efke 100 right now with Pyrocat-HD in a stainless steel basket that fits in a standard Nikkor tank. I want to make a "slosher" type tray to develop multiple sheets in a tray. I also have some 2 x 3 hangers but I haven't used them on this size film. I am hoping that JandC will get some Efke 25 in and I will be trying some Ilford HP5 also. It depends on the time, I have a Mamiya 645 and a Nikon F3hp along with 4x, 5x, and 8x10 cameras. Way too much for a hobby! I didn't mention my mint Ansco folder. I wonder if it's any good? For $14 I couldn't resist.

I took my Mamiya to Paris and used it with a 55 WA, 80, and 150. I used the 80 for almost all off the pictures I took. I used Efke 25 where I could and JandC 100 and 400. I'm not sure that I would take the Busch overseas. My son took my Nikon with a zoom lens and he was just fine.

Curt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin