Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,147   Online: 829

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I were to replace my current Leica system with something newer, I would personally go with the Zeiss Ikon body and 35mm biogon. It would run you about $2200 at camera quest, less than an M7 body alone.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 3 LF cameras and 2 MF cameras and other various including a slr/c so I am aware of the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    Troy, you have a lot of research to do before deciding on a new camera.

I'm curious about the slow, high resolution films you mentioned that you want to use. Your purpose appears to be to produce photos of the highest technical quality. If that's the case, I would suggest you bypass 35mm altogether and go to medium format. For the ultimate, go to large format.
    I'm not knocking Leica at all. I have and use a couple of M6's as my main 35mm cameras. They are superb. But the fact is--under any given circumstance, on any given day, with the same conditions applied--I can produce pictures with better print quality from my beat-to-hell Mamiya TLR equipment.

Leica is a great choice for 35mm. But no matter how you slice it, it's still 35mm and size does matter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've got a CLE, an M2 and an M3 -- there are significant differences between the Minolta and the Leicas. The CLE is light, which makes a difference if, like me, you've gotten tired of hauling heavier cameras around (I know, the Ms are not all that heavy in comparison to a big SLR, but they're heavier than the CLE). CLE has a nice viewfinder, but you do have to move your head a bit to see the shutter speed LEDs -- but of course, the older Ms have no internal metering at all. You can miss a good shot with the CLE if you happen to have turned off the camera, and whip up the camera only to find that it's totally non-responsive because you turned it off. Of course, you can leave the camera on if you wish, as the batteries are standard and readily available (who can't carry two LR44's?). TTL metering and OTF flash control is very nice, again not available on the earlier Ms.

I'd say that if you can afford a new Leica, then go that way. But I certainly wold not turn my back on another CLE if I had a chance to buy one at a reasonable price. And yes, I find the 40mm and 90mm Minolta CLE lenses to be very sharp -- I don't have any experience with the 28mm.

As always, it's not the camera that makes the big difference, this the photographer -- a lesson I learn every time develop my film!

Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Oh -- and who these days is selling the Pocket Spot? Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin