Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,084   Online: 795

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Zeiss rangefinder

Just this afternoon fiddled with the new Zeiss plastic rangefinder (made in Japan by Cosina)... I have mixed emotions... Zeiss lenses (3 biogons WAngles), Leitz M lens mount, ugly plastic body with ugly shutter noise (far, far from the music you hear from Leicas) and a price that cannot be considered a bargain... I might ask to do a test, but....

What do you guys think ? Have you seen it ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plastic? The one I played with was metal. I loved it. Nice viewfinder. I liked the shutter sound. Its different due to the metal vertically running shutter. Its much easier to load than a Leica and the lenses are on par (if not better in some cases).

Now I just have to afford one (but they are about $1000 less that a M7).

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just did a search - $1625?!! Really, what is it with these rangefinders? And an "ugly plastic body" to boot. I really appreciate rangefinders and have a few of the sharp-but-dirt-cheap ones with fixed lenses, but can someone explain the whole mystique behind these ones? What sort of earth shattering precision is needed to put an interchangeable lens mount in there instead of a lens?

I'll take an F6, thank you. In fact, on second thoughts I'll take an F100 for $400 and spend the rest on lenses. Jeez!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The new Zeiss rangefinder has a lightweight metal alloy body (not plastic) and a vertical metal bladed shutter, not a machined brass body and horizontal cloth shutter. Different animals for different tastes, budgets, and design goals. Cameraquest has them in stock at US$1400.

I think it's great that at the same time people are lamenting the death of film, you can get new Leica mount bodies from three manufacturers at prices from under US$100 (US$185 if you count only bayonet mounts) to near US$3000, and multiple marques of new rangefinder lenses with different design goals from US$200 up. Choices and a lower entry price on quality film rangefinders are great for the market, consumers, and photography in general.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah...the Ikon is a metal bodied camera...it isn't plastic. I don't know what you played with, but I doubt it was the Ikon if it was plastic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The camera has a rugged design body. To obtain an optimum balance between weight, stable handling, and wearing comfort, the inner core of the camera consists of aluminum die cast. The top cover, bottom cover and front plate consist of varnished magnesium. The camera’s weight of 460 g is sufficient to shoot pictures with lower shutter speeds, but on the other hand the camera is not too heavy to carry it on the shoulder with a couple of lenses in a bag.

http://www.zeissikon.com/faq.htm
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    Just this afternoon fiddled with the new Zeiss plastic rangefinder (made in Japan by Cosina)... I have mixed emotions... Zeiss lenses (3 biogons WAngles), Leitz M lens mount, ugly plastic body with ugly shutter noise (far, far from the music you hear from Leicas) and a price that cannot be considered a bargain... I might ask to do a test, but....

What do you guys think ? Have you seen it ??
    Troll.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not plastic.
    It's far from ugly.
    What's not to like about the biogon 25/2.8.

I call troll.

-- MW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given his other thread about the use of MDF by Gandolfi, a total troll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu
    I just did a search - $1625?!! Really, what is it with these rangefinders? And an "ugly plastic body" to boot. I really appreciate rangefinders and have a few of the sharp-but-dirt-cheap ones with fixed lenses, but can someone explain the whole mystique behind these ones? What sort of earth shattering precision is needed to put an interchangeable lens mount in there instead of a lens?

I'll take an F6, thank you. In fact, on second thoughts I'll take an F100 for $400 and spend the rest on lenses. Jeez!
    A 50 year old Leica will focus a 50 mm lens with 4 to 5 times more accurately than will your F6, and with consistent precision ( unlike the randomness of the AF ) The shorter the lens, the greater the difference.

That is the beginning of the big deal. There is room in my camera bag for both cameras.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin