Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,491   Online: 893

Shooter
    Multi Format

Another Leica IIIF!

Hello everybody! I am a new member of APUG and this is my very first post!

Having not used my IIIF for many years, I have just sent it away for a complete overhaul. I bought this camera in 1967 when I was 15 years old but I haven't used it now for at least 20 years. To ensure I can recapture as far as possible, the authentic 1950's style of black and white photography, I have also ordered some Efke/Adox R100 and Neofin Blue from Retro Photographic here in the UK.

My question is, can anybody suggest a starting point for film speed and development time for this combination? I will be shooting mainly with my collapsible 50mm Summicron but also with 35mm Summaron, 90mm Elmar and 135mm Hektor. Initially I'll be using a modern diffuser enlarger, but eventually I will restore an old condenser enlarger from the same period to complete my 'retro experiment'!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This combination has times listed here:

http://jandcphoto.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey Bill, I think I know you...

Chris

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There is also the Massive Development Chart. Doesn't cover every combination, and sometimes you just have to make your best guess.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Bill

Great stuff... don't throw out that diffusion head, that's authentic 50s gear !

The hot setup in those brave days was a focomat or valoy, and while they are condensor heads, the condensor sits on top of the neg, bringing the 'lightsource' into contact with the neg, resulting in a semi diffusion. Most of the guys I knew whe were working then either left it alone, or added a little drawing vellum between the anti newton disc and the condensor, making it a diffusion head.... same effect from a durst 606, or quite a few great enlargers from those thrilling days !

You can push the 100 film to 400 if you want to do the early '50s journalism thing.... it took a long time for tri x to catch on !

have fun

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    You can push the 100 film to 400 if you want to do the early '50s journalism thing.... it took a long time for tri x to catch on !
    How many minutes in D76? (or did they use Edwal 12?)

All help much appreciated,

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    How many minutes in D76? (or did they use Edwal 12?)

All help much appreciated,

Lachlan

here's the goods:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4018/f4018.pdf

for 'real time data', check out a copy of The Leica Manual, circa 1956... for current films, though, rely on the current kodak info.... it'll work for FP4+ too.

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    Hey Bill, I think I know you...
    Nevermind, the other "Bill" is Blank, not Banks. Thought you were a guy from another forum...

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah these modern cameras, I'm still getting good mileage from a IIIa. For an even more antique Leica approach, try using the 50mm camera lens on the enlarger. It's no coincidence that they both use the same thread.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, everybody. I picked up the camera today and I'm ready to go!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin