Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,660   Online: 804

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anybody here shooting a Canonet QL17 ??

I bought one of these after reading a comparison to a M6. Bought it for less that $30 on Ebay. Needed minor work. Loose trim, and needed light seals.

I did not expect much, but I must admit, I am totally blown away. What a sharp little camera. Very mechanical, and very simple. It has an old style needle meter that I can actually see for a change rather than those freaking green LEDs like in my other cameras.

Syncs at all lens speeds too which is nice.

I guess the biggest con for me so far is the limited iso of 25 to 800 and that it is shutter priority. Shutter priority I can work around. Also can be shot manual, but no metering, unless I am mistaken. Still learning it.

For those that want a closer look keep in mind these were taken with a bargain grade HQ100 film, just running around taking test shots, overcast day, checking the RF accuracy etc. Also these are drum scans at 2000 dpi, neated, but no sharpening at all. Please excuse the exposure etc. I am still fiddling with that.

Cant wait to see what this thing spits out with Copex or Efke 25. Check the screws on the boardwalk rail. That was one of my RF accuracy shots. Not bad for a cheapo.

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/canonet_ql17

Images
    Good Morning, Troy,

I also have a Canonet and agree that the lens is sharp; it gives results that compare very favorably with those from my Olympus lenses. I doubt if anyone could differentiate enlargements from negatives made by the Canonet and most other (much more expensive) equipment. ( I might make an exception for my Olympus 100mm f2.0 lens!). I don't use the Canonet very much, but it's a great little camera.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got one, but I generally prefer my SLRs to my rangefinders. Between that and the fact that my Canonet has mild lens fungus, I don't use it much. Still, it is a nice camera. I bought it for sentimental reasons, really -- my mother had one in the 1970s and 1980s.

There are a fair number of Canonet fans on this board, so I'm sure some will chime in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll find about a billion favorably posts about the Canonet QLIII 17 on PH and on rangefinderforum.com. It's got its limitations, and there seems to be some variability in the quality of the lens over time (from pretty sharp to really sharp - few if any or soft). But it's got a fast lens (the oft-compared Olympus RC's have 2.8's for example) is very compact (Minolta Hi-Matics and the Konica S2 are much, much bigger), and loads like a dream.

I agree that it would be nice if it could go to 1600 on the meter. I have gotten better at metering a room in general at an unacceptably low shutter speed but at 800, then setting it to a faster shutter and a manual aperture to get 1600 or even 3200. The combination of TXT and Microphen gives enough flexibility to give me usable negatives.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, so you got hooked by the Leicaslacker! I read it after I bought the QL17 - his whole web page is a hoot! I love the Bresson short story - had me laughing pretty hard. Mine is great, love it. Works great with a Wein cell - I actually got a good run (bat. life) out of it.
    Run a search on Canonet QL17 GIII - you will have lots of cures for buyers remorse - the little thing has a huge fan club, myself included. You'll love it - it has its limitations, but then again so do most things, and price considered, its a great buy.

Peter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love my QL17. I know composition is all in the eye of the (camera's) beholder. But it does take some quality pictures. This is my don't-wanna-carry-my-whole-big-bag-around-all-day camera.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought one a few months ago. I just ran a roll of NPH through it when camping with the kids. I'm impressed. The lens is great & the meter works just fine with the wein battery. I bought the battery & seal kit from ebay & it's like new now, all for $45.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you'll find the QL17 has a lot of fans round here. I use mine a lot, despite loads of SLR gear, when I just want something that's still good, but fits in a pocket.

You are right that there is no metering in manual, but it is very easy to use the auto setting to meter then set your own settings back in manual. You can get round the ISO limitation that way as well, with a tiny bit of mental arithmatic.

David.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Ah, so you got hooked by the Leicaslacker! I read it after I bought the QL17 - his whole web page is a hoot!

Everything Kyle writes is gold. Have you seen his page for the Leica-H?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes! A medium format Leica, wow!
    I found his page(s) to be very entertaining and informative - fancy that, a Leica user without delusions of grandeur (just kidding, don't shoot, everyone!).

Peter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin