Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,272   Online: 1110

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Konica Hexar AF

Shooter
    35mm RF
    DO NOT BUY IT UNLESS ITS CHEAP. It has some nice features but you may want to consider a Leica M4-P, a far superior camera for around the same cost.

What I didn't like about the Hexar are its dials which are extremely whimpy IMHO. My xpan blows the socks off the Hexar RF. The AF has a problem w/ its slow 250 max speed. This limits the shooter to slow speed film during daylight.

Shooter
    35mm

S3 lens?

Ryuji,

How would you compare the lens performance of the S2 with the smaller body S3?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    I have two of those myself and I love them. But I haven't seen a diagram for these lenses. I took apart lenses and looked at individual surfaces; it's 6e 4g design, with 3e 2g in each side of the shutter. I've heard that the design is similar to Ektar 45/2 or 47/2, but I haven't confirmed this myself.

an m4-p over a hexar af? no thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 35mmDelux View Post
    DO NOT BUY IT UNLESS ITS CHEAP. It has some nice features but you may want to consider a Leica M4-P, a far superior camera for around the same cost.

What I didn't like about the Hexar are its dials which are extremely whimpy IMHO. My xpan blows the socks off the Hexar RF. The AF has a problem w/ its slow 250 max speed. This limits the shooter to slow speed film during daylight.
    Hexar AF and Hexar RF are quite different animals. Neither can be compared to M4P, fully manual without meter. Each has different talent with its own superiority.

Leica's counterpart for Hexar AF is Minilux.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both a Hexar AF and Leica Minilux. The Hexar is a much better camera in terms of build quality and functionality. Quite different cameras!
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Do you mean Minilux or Mini? Well Minilux has less functions than Hexar AF, but I think it still belongs to same category - I mean the possibility of camera control like aperture priority, manual focusing etc. Quality can be evaluated differently, I think both are OK . I think both are made in Japan. I like both cameras though the finder of Minilux is a bit pain to compose.

Hexar AF photo I've taken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hxraf_apx100_005485[1].jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the hexar AF very much. Having a fixed lens doens't bother me in the least, I take it with me when I want to work quickly and with minimal noise/intrusion- situations when I don't want to take my mamiya 6. At up to ~$400 I think it is a bargain, I think you really won't get better optical quality at 35mm on 35mm film.

It has some very cute features, like the stealth mode, the ability to switch rolls of film mid roll, the IR mode. Very well made, an A+ camera in my book. Very few drawbacks, the main one being the limitations on shutter speed, but it hasn't bothered me. I like slow film, I do my own printing and I like my contrast and my crisp whites and blacks and I don't usually care for grain.

Some people say you can't do action with it, that is certainly not true. You be the judge, here is a very impromptu shot.
    Last edited by keithwms; 10-16-2006 at 02:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everything I read about this camera makes me want one more and more.
    Does anyone know how the lens on this camera compares to the 40mm f/1.8 AR Hexanon?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both are very crisp and contrasty lenses and I love them both. At wide open I feel that the 35mm on Hexar is more contrasty, tho I don't know which gives better resolution wide open. The bokeh character varies depending on the aperture, from wide open to f/4 range, in both lenses. The bokeh character also depends on the shutter speed in case of Hexar (true of any low efficiency lens shutters, tho).

Speaking of SLR 35-40mm lens, perhaps my best favorite is Canon EF 35mm f/2.0. This one also gives very contrasty image and gives decent bokeh depending on the aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    Both are very crisp and contrasty lenses and I love them both. At wide open I feel that the 35mm on Hexar is more contrasty, tho I don't know which gives better resolution wide open. The bokeh character varies depending on the aperture, from wide open to f/4 range, in both lenses. The bokeh character also depends on the shutter speed in case of Hexar (true of any low efficiency lens shutters, tho).

Speaking of SLR 35-40mm lens, perhaps my best favorite is Canon EF 35mm f/2.0. This one also gives very contrasty image and gives decent bokeh depending on the aperture.
    I, too, have this lens and my experience matches your own. Curiously, Mike Johnston reviewed several 35mm lenses in an early issue of his "37th Frame" newsletter. Effectively, he felt that is was perhaps the best balanced 35mm lens extant from a technical standpoint (very sharp across the frame and contrasty at all apertures with consistently good Bokeh) but that the results lacked character.

I'd agree with that observation, too. In high-contrast lighting I'd much rather shoot with my Pentax SMC Takumar 35mm f/2.0 despite the fact that the EF lens handily beats it at wider apertures (til f/4, anyway) and when focused close.

I've not seen a diagram of the EF 35mm, I'd be curious to compare it with that of the Takumar. I suspect they are more differences among them than glass types as they are so obviously different in behavior. Sadly, I can no longer find a cross-section of the SMC Takumar 35mm online and Canon USA's EF lens diagrams on the web are so puny as to be illegible.

Mike also observed that the Hexanon 35mm outperformed the Summicron 35mm pre-Asph at wider apertures. I've no experience there, as I'm not really a rangefinder guy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin