Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,513   Online: 841

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: camera greed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    As long as you want the gear for a specific reason (weight, lens selection, etc...) and not just to be able to holler out in a crowded room "Touch me! I shoot with a LEICA!" or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I'm thinking of getting a IIIA later this year (to replace my Zorki I), but you are leaning more toward the greed side if you just want the flashy names and more toward the practical side if you want the technical advantages.

- Randy

P.S. The fact that my wife sometimes reads my posts has nothing to do with the nature of my comments. <cough>
    No, it's not the names.....well, I admit there is some romance associated with a Leica, but that is mainly because of it's lightness and smallness (and because such great photographers have used them). I don't suppose the quality itself would outdo MF but it would offer a different approach, but probably not very different from using the Nikon.

Suzanne, I'm interested you use the Mamiya 7 for portraits. I vaguely remember something about people finding the Mamiya 711 lenses a little TOO sharp for portraits - I wonder if there's anything in that. I do love the RZ, as it happens, but would like something more versatile aswell (IS THE NIKON ENOUGH FOR THAT is the question...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    P.S. The fact that my wife sometimes reads my posts has nothing to do with the nature of my comments. <cough>
    I always bring up the number of shoes my SO has compared to the number of cameras I have. That usually settles the arguement. Well, sort of...well, not really...but I know I'm right.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a 7II with a 65mm lens for walk-around journalistic and landscape shots and find it to be perfect for that type of situation. For me this camera/lens combo is extremely light for the 6x7 neg size, and produces very sharp results. I tried it with the 150mm and its accompanying viewfinder for portraits, but found it not to be for me. The 7II is my first rangefinder so that may of been the problem. I shot portraits professionally for 15 years with Hassy gear and became accustomed to the WYSIWYG SLR design. I found looking through the 150'mms viewfinder difficult for me to decipher a quick composition. I eventually sold the 150mm lens and viewfinder. I would suggest looking through the 150mm lens on a Mamiya 7 before you purchase it.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's wrong with the portraits you shoot with you'r R.Z 67 ?

Shooter
    35mm
    My buddy makes photos that are just as good as mine with his $125 camera, as opposed to my $1200 camera. Its clearly not just about the camera once a certain threshold is reached regarding lens and focal plane performance, in a given format.

It starts to come down to ergonomics, literally how a camera feels to work with. Whenever I shoot with an unfamiliar system, I have noticed that I really can't make much of a judgement until I have worked with the camera long enough to be used to how it feels. At that point, I can begin to be somewhat objective.

Also, it could be that what you are craving is a little 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    What's wrong with the portraits you shoot with you'r R.Z 67 ?
    I don't know, maybe nothing - there's some in my gallery - what do you think? I'm not sure if it's that - But there are limitations, maybe it's not what's wrong with the portraits I shoot, more that certain portraits can be difficult or almost impossible with it - for example, very young, mobile children... I use the RZ almost exclusively hand-held for portraits, but even so...Though part of me thinks I should just stick with it, and work out a way (or just grab the Nikon in this situation).
    Last edited by catem; 04-21-2006 at 12:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    Also, it could be that what you are craving is a little 4x5
    Yes, I started thinking this way, and then thought well, why not something a little bigger (if at all)...This is how it goes, and then I get nothing, which may be just as well....financially, anyway...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem is obvious. You're suffering from GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome, that is. The early signs of this condition are relatively subtle, so while it might seem that there may still be hope for you, there isn't. There is no cure for GAS. It's terminal, but doesn't usually speed things up (unless you have an unsympathetic spouse).

Go ahead and get the the Mamiya 7II, the Leica(s), the Hassy (or two), a 4x5 monorail, a 4x5 field, and an 8x10 or two before jumping into ULF. You'll feel better, and will be doing your civic duty by contributing to the economy.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm
    To think about equipment is normal. If you have a Nikon and a RZ you already are equipped to take quality photos. I beleive that the first priority is to consider the end usage of the equipment. What interests you and what are you trying to accomplish are the first questions to ask yourself. Then what necessary equipment is properly suited to accomplish that end is the next question to be asked as well as how you like to approach your work.

If you want 8x10 photo of children being themselves than a good rangefinder camera is very suited to that task. If you are interested in sports photography then your Nikon may be much more suitable. If you are taking formal portraits and have 16x20 prints as your upper print size then a Mamiya RZ can hardly be be beat in roll film.

Once you have made such decisions then expand that system. For example a Nikon with 5 good lenses that is well to a photographic application will be a better choice than 5 cameras each with only a normal lens.

Make sure you have good quality darkroom equipment and lust after good print quality not more cameras. Do your work. Do your work. Do your work.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a difference between camera greed and camera lust? I find I can get infatuated with cameras, mostly older ones, like the Contessa I saw at the camera show and just had to take home.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin