Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,439   Online: 690

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: camera greed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    The problem is obvious. You're suffering from GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome, that is. The early signs of this condition are relatively subtle, so while it might seem that there may still be hope for you, there isn't. There is no cure for GAS. It's terminal, but doesn't usually speed things up (unless you have an unsympathetic spouse).

Go ahead and get the the Mamiya 7II, the Leica(s), the Hassy (or two), a 4x5 monorail, a 4x5 field, and an 8x10 or two before jumping into ULF. You'll feel better, and will be doing your civic duty by contributing to the economy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Make sure you have good quality darkroom equipment and lust after good print quality not more cameras. Do your work. Do your work. Do your work.
    Thank you for your very grounding post, Claire.

And thank you all for bearing with my neurosis.

(I'll let you know what I get!!)

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Mamiya 7II

I like my Mamiya 7II for travel, landscape, street shots and such, and I have even used it at weddings and other social events occasionally. The camera is a very good balance between weight/size and image quality. The lenses are very good, and you know what kind of results to expect since you have a 6x7 SLR already.

But please keep in mind that there is a certain limitation for close-up focus, so if you want a very close portrait, the 7II is not going to work well. Consult the documentation.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Pardon??

(I have a mother, but no wife )
    Lucky lad, you.

Jon
    from Deepinaharta, Georgia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboy
    Lucky lad, you.

Jon
    from Deepinaharta, Georgia
    But the point is, I'm not a lad.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm feeling today like sticking with the gear I've got for the moment - I'm going to make a conscious effort to use the Nikon a bit more, it's fallen into disuse, maybe even buy a new lens for it, and try to remember why I used to like it so much.

There's a lot to be said for pushing what you already have to the limit, and I'm not sure I've done that yet - this has been helpful in clarifying that, thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    That's very true. But anyone using an RZ hand-held for portraits will know where I'm coming from, why I'm thinking....the Mamiya 7 seemed like a good option but I am very put off by the lack of close-up focus which I wasn't aware of.

So, with frustrations around working practice come doubts and questions, and thinking of alternatives, and then you put the alternatives in perpective...

To be fair, I've never been one for 'toys' , certainly not for 'the boys' in my case.
    Last edited by catem; 04-22-2006 at 11:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: left out 'will know'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's very true. But anyone using an RZ hand-held for portraits where I'm coming from, why I'm thinking....the Mamiya 7 seemed like a good option but I am very put off by the lack of close-up focus which I wasn't aware of.
    The design "limitations" of a rangefinder tend to make both close-ups and critical close focus problematic. The rangefinder focus patch is seldom where you want it for portraits, and shifting the camera to recompose also shifts the focus point. It's not impossible to overcome, but it's problematic. The Leica with the (legendary) 75mm/f1.4 or the 50mm/f0 demonstrate the problem quickly when shooting wide open, for example.

To be fair, I've never been one for 'toys' , certainly not for 'the boys' in my case.
    Ah, the traditional problem of the gender-neutral handle. Absent some clue to the contrary, most folks will assume a photographer person to be male. Unfortunately, they'll be right in a majority of cases.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's very true. But anyone using an RZ hand-held for portraits where I'm coming from, why I'm thinking....the Mamiya 7 seemed like a good option but I am very put off by the lack of close-up focus which I wasn't aware of.

So, with frustrations around working practice come doubts and questions, and thinking of alternatives, and then you put the alternatives in perpective...

The lack of close-up focus, as Ralph says, is problematic, but can be overcome. Bear in mind, the negatives are so big and beautiful, with the Mamiya 7, that cropping a small area out of the negative is quite doable for up to 8x10 printing. That said, I hate to shoot things that I'll need to crop later, but it is an option.

There is a close up adaptor for th 80mm lens that works great for close-up focussing. Fine for still life, but it might scare off young children as it's quite the contraption. Haven't tried it with my kids, yet!

Sounds like sticking with what you've got is a great choice for now... but I always enjoy stimulating the economy whenever I have a little extra cash burning a whole in my pocket. Of course, that doesn't happen nearly as often as it should!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Ah, the traditional problem of the gender-neutral handle. Absent some clue to the contrary, most folks will assume a photographer person to be male. Unfortunately, they'll be right in a majority of cases.
    I did use the word 'gear' a couple of posts back. Funny, it's not a word I usually use and I think it's possibly a word men use more. I kind of felt there was something odd about using it.

You're right about people assuming your male, unless it's stated otherwise. The worst thing is, many women find themselves doing it too.

Suzanne, thanks for your imput - it's been very helpful.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin