Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,918   Online: 884

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: camera greed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    I find I can get infatuated with cameras, mostly older ones, like the Contessa I saw at the camera show and just had to take home.
    I once took home a contessa, but her husband didn't like it....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am terrible about wanting to buy "new" cameras. I think it's because people are getting rid of them to indulge in technology and I see them as unloved cast offs. I want to rescue all of them and use all of them. I absolutlely love cameras, I have antique unusable cameras on my shelves and a large number of useable cameras. I just can't seem to find a way to use them all. Maybe I should stop buying. I know my husband wants me to.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gay - just tell your husband to look into the eyes of those once-sad and dejected cameras, and tell you they weren't worth the rescue effort. (sniff, sniff)
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    But the point is, I'm not a lad.

There's a lot to be said for pushing what you already have to the limit, and I'm not sure I've done that yet - this has been helpful in clarifying that, thanks.
    Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! I must be denser than I thought. Sorry, I ass-umed from an earlier post that you were male.
    As to pushing limits, photographically speaking, I seem to recall that Steichen made the statement that no photographer was as good as a box camera. Meaning, of course, that no one had/has explored every possibility inherent in any camera. His intent was to get across the idea that one didn't need fancy or exotic equipment to make good/great photos. In the end, he minimilized to the point of shooting out of a window of his house using an old tree in the yard as subject. I am not aware of his choice of camera for this project. Well, personally, I am no master shooter so I'll go on acquiring and using various cameras that I really don't need, if only to satisfy my curious side. Besides, what fun is it if ya can't shlep around with a good 40 or 50 pounds of photo shtuff hangin' off of yer body? Damn good excercise, that. Impressive to the Great Unwashed, as well.

Jon
    from Deepinaharta, Georgia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboy
    Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! I must be denser than I thought. Sorry, I ass-umed from an earlier post that you were male.
    No worries

Thanks for the last few comments - I was beginning to feel consumer guilt..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great to read Gay's post, I thought I was the only freak buying heaps of old cameras to save them, from what I don't know, but save them I do! Shelves are bulging and the bank balance is falling, but hey- youcan't have too many can you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wonderful wife has said to me three times in the last week "have you bought that new camera you want yet?". I haven't; I'm wondering what she wants that's worth 3 grand to ensure the balance of payments remains in tact...

I used an OM2n and 3 lens for 15 years as my only camera during poor, prime child-rearing years and took some wonderful, personally satisfying images. I have gone a bit crazy with GAS (see above) in the last 5 years and my image taking has improved in the sense that I have more appropriate equipment to achieve a desired outcome in certain circumstances. e.g. big fast lens on autofocus 35mm for live music available light shooting etc.

God help me I now want 4x5 or 5x7 for landscape work. Will I be able to resist the ULF demons in the next few years?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie
    Great to read Gay's post, I thought I was the only freak buying heaps of old cameras to save them, from what I don't know, but save them I do! Shelves are bulging and the bank balance is falling, but hey- youcan't have too many can you?
    A guy I work with gave me his Olympus OM-1 w/50 mm lens and I took it for pretty much the same reason you give. To save it - a camera that's in great condition (except it needed new seals) - from the trash bin.

Of course, this is also how I've acquired a lot of my antique cameras, I was saving them from being thrown away.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    A guy I work with gave me his Olympus OM-1 w/50 mm lens and I took it for pretty much the same reason you give. To save it - a camera that's in great condition (except it needed new seals) - from the trash bin.

Of course, this is also how I've acquired a lot of my antique cameras, I was saving them from being thrown away.

Should you decide that OM-1 needs another new home, my OM addiction is reaching legendary proportions (according to my wife...)

Bruce

Shooter
    Large Format
    Cameras are just tools, use the right tool for the job. Some times I shoot 35mm other times I shoot 8X10. Right now, between myself, my wife and 3 kids there are 41 cameras in the house and one on loan to a friend. The right tool can be nothing more than it "feels" like a Leica sort of day.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin