Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,942   Posts: 1,585,755   Online: 1144

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: camera greed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am at about 20 (cameras) now, with a steep rising curve ahead of me....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do we have to limit the count to cameras that are working?

:rolleyes:

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always had 20 to 50 cameras on-hand at any one time, but now I feel that I am acquiring a definitive "set" of about 10 must-have, working cameras, and should be able to divest myself of the others and get down to the business of making images, not collecting cameras.

It has been a LONG time coming, but I am glad it is here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have this so much with cameras ... however lenses is my weak spot ... I have 37 50mm Leica M mount lenses, form very old to brand new.

As for Cameras, I have 3 M series to accomodate my lenses, 2 screw mounts leicas, more for having them than actually using them, a Hassleblad 501 and 2 Mamiya 7-ii
    Perfection is Boring ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An inexpensive Iskra ("Spark") could help relieve your GAS for MF. They are a tough old folder that can/will match your skills. The red felt interior attracts much attention when the case is opened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    ... I have 37 50mm Leica M mount lenses, form very old to brand new. . . .
    Gee, and I was feeling guilty for having three 50mm Leica lenses. Whew! I feel like a free man!
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Gee, and I was feeling guilty for having three 50mm Leica lenses. Whew! I feel like a free man!
    Only three? All the same?

That's not many. Haven't you ever got a lens at a good price and then got another of the same at a better price as a spare in case anything bad happened to the first one?

I wonder whether Magnus is a collector with a plan or just an accumulator. Magnus, neither, um, term is pejorative. If it pleases you to have that many of the same lens, well, then, I'm glad you're happy. And if it doesn't please you, well, then, I expect that in time you'll find new homes for some of them.

Ralph, the sky having fallen recently, I find I have four little 6" process lenses, two identical except for serial number. And four 12" process lenses, two identical except for serial number. Some of those little piggies have to go to market. I thought I'd been making good progress, sold many of my "surplus to need" macro lenses but here I am again.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    That's not many. Haven't you ever got a lens at a good price and then got another of the same at a better price as a spare in case anything bad happened to the first one?
    Yes, a Jupiter 9 in LTM while I was having my first calibrated. It was delivering beautiful results of things about 3 feet in front of where I was focusing. Been fine ever since - lovely lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Every now and then I get huge yearnings to buy a new camera. I already have a Mamiya RZ and a Nikon. I am sorely tempted by the greater MF spontaneity offered by the Mamiya 7ll, and am also tempted by a Leica. (I have to confess a desire for a Hasselblad also comes into the equation but I realise this is the wrong forum for that). I take mostly portraits and still lifes.
    This has nothing to do with greed I think. I second Randys and Claires opinion tho, keep the acqusition always related to the intended usage.

It does not make sense either to work with too many different systems (RF, 35mmSLR, MF SLR) at the same time, because the change always needs
    time for the adaption.
    The best tool is not the one with the right name but the one which by the time gets something like the mechanical extension of your personal , biological
    perception system. At this point not all cameras are suited for everybody.

And don't let you talk into this nonsense of GAS beeing an unavoidable phenomenon. GAS is an euphemism for a severe mental illness, a flirt with the own helplessness of those who have lost their creativity completey (if they ever had some) and now spend their photographical life at evil-bay and with "test shots".
    As long as one can say one needs a camera for a certain purpose or a project it should be o.k., at least as long as one does not invent a purpose to justify an acquisition ! Have been there, got the t-shirt !

Regards,
    Bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Art, I think you hit the nail on the head

Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Us boys and our toys. And one girl, so far!

We're just talking traditional camera toys here on this site. But I know sites for digital camera toys, car toys, fishing toys, boat toys, home DIY toys, computer toys, sound system toys, SCUBA toys, mountain bike toys, ... and the list goes on and on. :o

Regards, Art. (One can get very greedy!)
    I collect as well as use cameras and I use what I buy. I find the gearhead disease to be a largely male affliction, to make a gross generalisation, most female photographers I know go for what makes the best picture, they will have a camera system that will achieve that with a minimum fuss and not accumulate gear or suffer equipment lust.
    In my case I am lusting for another Leica M body with kit of lenses and a Nikon FM2.

Bill

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin