Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,040   Online: 990

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: camera greed?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Gee, and I was feeling guilty for having three 50mm Leica lenses. Whew! I feel like a free man!
    When I was looking for a lens for my FED, I ended up buying 12 collapsibles for the price of one. I still have 8 of them, having passed on the best ones except for the one I use. And then there's a couple of non-collapsible Industars and whatnot, too.

I also managed to get down to only three 150mm LF lenses, but now I'm back to five. And three 135mm's, three 180mm's and a 165mm...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think you should buy whatever you want without guilt. In the end, a wife, child or the government will spend whatever is left. Now that would be a waste.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy low, Sell high. If you want it get it. Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.

"It's not what you do but what you leave undone that gives you a little heart ache at the setting of the sun." Edora Welty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    When I was looking for a lens for my FED, I ended up buying 12 collapsibles for the price of one. I still have 8 of them, having passed on the best ones except for the one I use. And then there's a couple of non-collapsible Industars and whatnot, too.

I also managed to get down to only three 150mm LF lenses, but now I'm back to five. And three 135mm's, three 180mm's and a 165mm...
    Tjugen's Syndrome is like weight. Easy to go on a diet and lose weight, hard not to regain the loss.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is not Mr. Ole a fine role model and ideal choice to advise others about camera greed?

Please speak up I am hearing impaired.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I shouldn't have said that - 150mm lens no. 6 came in todays mail. A 150mm f:6.6 Zeiss Doppel-Amatar...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's got nothing to do with collecting or having a plan ....

I just like using 50mm lenses, it provides me with the perfect frame size, according to my preferences that is, others often get a 50mm because it's the cheapest in the range, use it for a while and then tend to buy wides or teles leaving the 50 unused. After a while they might decide to sell it for reasons of funding another lenses, this is when I come in. I pick them up at good prices and cannot get it over my heart to sell them.

Out of all the 50-ties I own, 15 are a different types, all with a certain character, not that use them all, but I do have them documented, and when I feel the need I pick a specific lens, or lenses for the subject I want to photograph.
    Perfection is Boring ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I guess I have camera greed too!

I have and use: a Leica M6 , A 4x5, and a Hassy

I have and seldom use a Nikon F100 outfit, Rolleiflex, and a Leica IIIF.

I have noticed that when I stick to one particular format my my work tends to improve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I started this thread, I should say that since my opening post, and partly after considering earlier responses, I have bought both an FM3A and a Nikon 85mm f1.4 (MF), second-hand of course, as a decision to make the most of what I had already.

I'm very pleased with the decision, and in fact don't think it was greed at all, but was about time, and it has made a lot of practical difference. To change system would, I think, have been greedy and also a complete red herring (for me, at the moment).

But this thread has a life of it's own now...........(and I wouldn't say the greed in me is dead for ever, but it's under control - for now).......

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear Stargazer, with full understanding of your gender and meaning nothing untoward, do you think that camera greed is a more appropriate term than camera lust?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin