Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,028   Online: 1213

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: camera greed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Dear Stargazer, with full understanding of your gender and meaning nothing untoward,
    Perhaps if I was more certain of the first half of your question I'd make a better answer re. the second half, but...

Gluttony, lust, seem pretty close to me ......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gee... I was thinking that there might be some sort of guilt thing going on. What's wrong with buying equipment to do the work you want/need to do, provided your not robbing or stealing to do so? I must admit, I never understood this thread and still don't. But then again, I rarely understand Claire's responses so it must be a personal problem. Thanks for listening... no response required!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw
    Gee... I was thinking that there might be some sort of guilt thing going on. What's wrong with buying equipment to do the work you want/need to do, provided your not robbing or stealing to do so? .
    Nothing. It's just that it's sometimes a bit easy to get into buying equipment you DON'T need to do the work you want/need to do....
    That doesn't harm anyone either, and no need to feel guilty, but as I said for me it can become a bit of a red herring - a way of avoiding getting on with it, or even facing other issues about what I'm doing.
    That's not to say it means the same for everybody...(I can't answer for why this thread's gone on for so long either )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Nothing. It's just that it's sometimes a bit easy to get into buying equipment you DON'T need to do the work you want/need to do....
    That doesn't harm anyone either, and no need to feel guilty, but as I said for me it can become a bit of a red herring - a way of avoiding getting on with it, or even facing other issues about what I'm doing.
    That's not to say it means the same for everybody...(I can't answer for why this thread's gone on for so long either )
    Hmm that post caused a strange feeling in my stomach. I don't "need" a lot of the gear I have. I could just do with one Nikon and the 50mm but I think its fun to use my 20mm and the 85/1,4 is just a great lens that produces lovely images. I'm not using the 180 AIS alot but I still would like the AFD version. The P6X7 is a heavy old beast with a dim wievfinder but whauv it's just a lovely camera and the 75mm f/4,5 is sharp, have a great AOW but it's just SLOW. The 45mm f/4,0 is a very good wide. I really want the 165mm f/2,8 for shots of my son in good light since I am a little to close with the 75mm. Then again I don't really need it.
    I don't feel I'm gready but I do have a lot of equipment that I don't "need" but I'm not a pro and I am only taking pictures because I like it.
    Hmm I started out doing nature shots on slides with the Nikon and Sigmas, a 24mm f/2,8 and a 105mm f/2,8 Macro. Where am I now
    I think that the "-greed" sometimes leads us on new paths. We learn from it.
    You can browse the internet for info on this or that but you don't really know until you have tried it yourself.
    Cheers Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Hmm that post caused a strange feeling in my stomach. I don't "need" a lot of the gear I have. I could just do with one Nikon and the 50mm but I think its fun to use my 20mm and the 85/1,4 is just a great lens that produces lovely images. I'm not using the 180 AIS alot but I still would like the AFD version. The P6X7 is a heavy old beast with a dim wievfinder but whauv it's just a lovely camera and the 75mm f/4,5 is sharp, have a great AOW but it's just SLOW. The 45mm f/4,0 is a very good wide. I really want the 165mm f/2,8 for shots of my son in good light since I am a little to close with the 75mm. Then again I don't really need it.
    I don't feel I'm gready but I do have a lot of equipment that I don't "need" but I'm not a pro and I am only taking pictures because I like it.
    Hmm I started out doing nature shots on slides with the Nikon and Sigmas, a 24mm f/2,8 and a 105mm f/2,8 Macro. Where am I now
    I think that the "-greed" sometimes leads us on new paths. We learn from it.
    You can browse the internet for info on this or that but you don't really know until you have tried it yourself.
    Cheers Søren
    Of course.

Don't forget the original post was posed with a question mark, and it referred to a specific dilemma I had at a particular time, so it was referring to me. It was not meant as a general philosophical question, nor to apply to everyone in general, though I for one have been interested in the replies.

As it happens I don't believe in guilt, or sin. Life is far too short for that. Certainly if I was forced to put a name to a sin, having lots of cameras wouldn't be it. And collecting cameras for it's own sake, even without any thought of using them, is a fine pursuit in itself. I was merely trying to work out my own motives at that moment, and sometimes it helps to do this aloud.

In retrospect, though, I shouldn't have said 'greed'; 'dilemma' or 'confusion' would have been less value-laden.

Now...please can everybody stop feeling so defensive?
    Last edited by catem; 06-02-2006 at 05:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missing words

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course.
    In retrospect, though, I shouldn't have said 'greed'; 'dilemma' or 'confusion' would have been less value-laden.
    BINGO!

... or GUILTY :-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You are right. The moral interpretation of this phenomenon would be silly, these poor guys (seldom girls) with houses full of cameras an lenses are not "guilty" ! How can a man beeing so very sick be responsible for his deeds ??

Hmmm.. not good either ? Well, at least more benevolent I'd say. The humanistic approach.

Regards,
    bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course.

Don't forget the original post was posed with a question mark, and it referred to a specific dilemma I had at a particular time, so it was referring to me. It was not meant as a general philosophical question, nor to apply to everyone in general, though I for one have been interested in the replies.

As it happens I don't believe in guilt, or sin. Life is far too short for that. Certainly if I was forced to put a name to a sin, having lots of cameras wouldn't be it. And collecting cameras for it's own sake, even without any thought of using them, is a fine pursuit in itself. I was merely trying to work out my own motives at that moment, and sometimes it helps to do this aloud.

WHOOOPS Sorry didn't mean to sound defensive, I'm really not.
    Stargazer, I know you are refering to yourself but somehow I makes us all think and perhaps some do feel quilty or targeted ( does that word exist ?)
    Greed is a very good word exactly covering the subject I think
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WHOOOPS Sorry didn't mean to sound defensive, I'm really not.
    Stargazer, I know you are refering to yourself but somehow I makes us all think and perhaps some do feel quilty or targeted ( does that word exist ?)
    Cheers, Søren
    Søren, I'm not so sure about that. I mean, I don't want EVERY camera or lens I see, just the ones that meet a need. And there aren't many of those.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cheers, Søren
    Well, I'm quite glad you like the word. It's quite a good one, really.

Certainly I have no problems using it and applying it to myself on occasion Let me see......Greed.... greeeeed greeeeeeeeeeeeeeed greeeeeeeeeedyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    really reeeeeeeeeeaallyyyyyy greeeeeeeeeeeedyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    yes, the word's O.K.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin