Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,162   Online: 711

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: camera greed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Søren, I'm not so sure about that. I mean, I don't want EVERY camera or lens I see, just the ones that meet a need. And there aren't many of those.

Cheers,

Dan
    Do you feel targeted Dan ?
    I believe you and I don't think you are suffering from camera greed
    I do think it's one of the symptoms in Magic Bullit Chasing Syndrome, You know, if I had this camera or that lens my pics would be much better
    But what's the case here is the lust after something because it's cool. I mean Leica is cool, a Mamiya 7 II is cool, a gandolfi 5X7 or 8X10 is cool etc.
    Its about wanting a camera or a lens for the joy of playing around with it and have something thas really top quality not because you need that exact item to be able to do a certain shot. And I think it's ok, whats wrong with buying a leica for the feel of it and its ruggedness or whatever even if a Voigtländer does the job just as good ? nothing.
    I'm not a pro and I don't "need" to take pictures to get food on the table but I need to go out with my cameras to feel alive, I just can't help it. My cameras ain't tools they are toys. I feel happy playing with them and if I get great images from them great, if not I have had a good time anyway.
    Thats not to say that getting good result doesn't matter of cource it does but it's not the end of the world if I fail.
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    I do think it's one of the symptoms in Magic Bullit Chasing Syndrome, You know, if I had this camera or that lens my pics would be much better
    That's the key, isn't it, and realising that at the right time.

But collecting and using different cameras can be a pleasure in itself, I definitely agree with that too, and am REALLY not calling ANYONE 'greedy' (though I do like the word itself- just the sound of it!). After all, all those cameras and lenses out there need good homes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Magic bullet syndrome, Søren? I think not. I just like to have 'em around.

The real reason I think its not magic bullet syndrome is that I've done a lot of shootouts. With the emulsions I shoot, my typical subjects, and my lousy technique, the lenses I've tried have fallen nicely into two categories: good enough to use, not good enough to use. The good enoughs all shoot about equally well as I use them. The not good enoughs really stand out for poor image quality.

The problem is, until a lens has been tried there's no way to tell which category its in. Reputation is fine, but past abuse matters too. There are no magic bullets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are no magic bullets.
    Actually, there are:

Magic Bullet

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm with Dan on this. The only thing I'd add is that if you buy reputable names and avoid their cheaper zooms there are far more lenses that ARE good enough to use than there are that AREN'T.

Cheers,

Roger

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only time lens quality really jumped out at me was a few years ago, when I first acquired my Bessa-R. I shot a retirement ceremony indoors with it, switching between the 35/2.5 Skopar and a Jupiter 8, and my Nikon FG, with a cheap zoom on the latter. When I got the 4x6 prints back I could easily tell which camera shot which, just from the higher level contrast on the Bessa. Couldn't tell when I switched lenses on the Bessa, but I could tell when I switched cameras.

BTW, would anyone like a cheap, offbrand 35-70 zoom in AI mount?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Magic bullet syndrome, Søren? I think not. I just like to have 'em around.

The real reason I think its not magic bullet syndrome is that I've done a lot of shootouts. With the emulsions I shoot, my typical subjects, and my lousy technique, the lenses I've tried have fallen nicely into two categories: good enough to use, not good enough to use. The good enoughs all shoot about equally well as I use them. The not good enoughs really stand out for poor image quality.

The problem is, until a lens has been tried there's no way to tell which category its in. Reputation is fine, but past abuse matters too. There are no magic bullets.
    Sorry Dan. Didn't mean to accuse you of that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    That's the key, isn't it, and realising that at the right time.

But collecting and using different cameras can be a pleasure in itself, I definitely agree with that too, and am REALLY not calling ANYONE 'greedy' (though I do like the word itself- just the sound of it!). After all, all those cameras and lenses out there need good homes.
    Absolutely true.
    I think we agree most of the way Stargazer.
    Cheers Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    A combination of factors keeps my GAS in check.

my income

my demand for the best product available, preferrably purchased new

my diary

my ruthless attitude towards crap I don't use on a regular basis
    What would Dziga Vertov do?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin