Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,685   Online: 893

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: camera greed?

Shooter
    Multi Format

camera greed?

Every now and then I get huge yearnings to buy a new camera. I already have a Mamiya RZ and a Nikon. I am sorely tempted by the greater MF spontaneity offered by the Mamiya 7ll, and am also tempted by a Leica. (I have to confess a desire for a Hasselblad also comes into the equation but I realise this is the wrong forum for that). I take mostly portraits and still lifes.

Am I just being greedy, pure and simple, and should I continue to work with what I've got or would my life change if I had one of the above cameras? (including the Hasselblad if you're interested).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Every now and then I get huge yearnings to buy a new camera. I already have a Mamiya RZ and a Nikon. I am sorely tempted by the greater MF spontaneity offered by the Mamiya 7ll, and am also tempted by a Leica. (I have to confess a desire for a Hasselblad also comes into the equation but I realise this is the wrong forum for that). I take mostly portraits and still lifes.

Am I just being greedy, pure and simple, and should I continue to work with what I've got or would my life change if I had one of the above cameras? (including the Hasselblad if you're interested).
    No you are not gready
    I feel the same way (Pentax6X7 and Nikon). I'd like a M7II and a Leica too.
    I must admit though that I don't believe either will change my photography alot. The M7II maybe because of its small size and big format. That would be a great travel camera for me,.... I think.
    Leica and Hasselblad Hmm well it's the names and the myths following them aint it. Great cameras top quality but they aren't magic bullets and you still have to do the work.
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh sorry, Yes your life will change since you won't need as much ergotherapy when not hauling your RZ67 around
    Cheers, Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Leica and Hasselblad Hmm well it's the names and the myths following them aint it. Great cameras top quality but they aren't magic bullets and you still have to do the work.
    Cheers, Søren
    So true. I do realise this......but.....it's not only the names, they make you work a little differently, don't they? I do understand I have to answer this one for myself...but would like to hear from anyone who uses Mamiya 711's or Leicas for portraits (I guess you can't beat the Mamiya RZ for still life, unless it's Large Format - but don't get me started..)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I don't shoot RF's But did have a QL17 GIII. The big difference is the finder. Some like the bright all sharp view in the RF, some don't. I guess I'll live with it in a 6X7 camera but in 35mm I really like the SLR style.

When it comes to difference in quality I doubt you will tell unless its a side by side comparison.
    I think Martin Parr uses a M7II for street(portraits)
    http://www.martinparr.com
    Cheers, Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    No, no, not greed. You want to improve your work, broaden your horizons. Do not let your tools limit yourself to negatives you can put in your pocket. Remember Edward Weston made 10,000 portraits with 8x10 cameras. The standard in portraiture for years was 11x14. One friend is doing great portraits on 12x20, another is doing wonderful nudes in 8x20.

Please do not introduce me to your wife or her moher.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    Please do not introduce me to your wife or her moher.

John Powers
    Pardon??

(I have a mother, but no wife )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer

I work with the Mamiya 7 and a Leica for portraits. The downside... they are both pricey, but as someone mentioned, you'll save untold thousands on chiropracter bills!

Seriously, they are great cameras to work with, and complement eachother nicely. I tend to reach for the Mamiya more often, but I only have one long lens for the Leica that is a bit limiting in a lot of situations. Both produce excellent negatives that make darkroom work satisfying. Both cameras work so similarly, that switching from the Mamiya to the Leica is not a distraction, and I can concentrate on the subject at hand.

New gear is great, but it can take a lot of shooting and practice to get comfortable using it, and no.... it won't change you life or make you a better photographer. Excellent tools, though!
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 04-21-2006 at 07:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Us boys and our toys. And one girl, so far!

We're just talking traditional camera toys here on this site. But I know sites for digital camera toys, car toys, fishing toys, boat toys, home DIY toys, computer toys, sound system toys, SCUBA toys, mountain bike toys, ... and the list goes on and on. :o

Regards, Art. (One can get very greedy!)
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As long as you want the gear for a specific reason (weight, lens selection, etc...) and not just to be able to holler out in a crowded room "Touch me! I shoot with a LEICA!" or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I'm thinking of getting a IIIA later this year (to replace my Zorki I), but you are leaning more toward the greed side if you just want the flashy names and more toward the practical side if you want the technical advantages.

- Randy

P.S. The fact that my wife sometimes reads my posts has nothing to do with the nature of my comments. <cough>

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin