Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,635   Posts: 1,648,170   Online: 1126

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor
    I just saw some family pictures from about 30 years ago, all taken with an Argus C3.
    Shot on Tri-X, they looked fantastic. Fantastic enough that now I must get myself a brick! Argh! Congratulations though!
    How did you know???? I had ANOTHER mouse-slipping ( :o ) incident just yesterday! Seems that if one (1) Brick is good then two (2) MUST be better

and this one comes with the original Argus meter!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just completed my collection of C-3s, which now includes pre and post war, Colormatic, Matchmatic, and the C-3 standard I just bought, which is my 16th C-3, though I have given half of those away to worthy recipients. The C-3 got me hooked on camera collecting, especially since it is what my dad used until I was 10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This August 5 or maybe the 6th.. is Argust day do a websearch for Argust 5th and I think you'll find the worldwide day to shoot your Argus. The C-3 IS a great camera. I just happen to live in the town where they were made, and we do have an Argus camera museum at the old factory.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have fun with the Argus!

I just bought an Argus C3 at a garage sale for about $15, in Dearborn MI. Paid too much, as I found out after the sale it has fungus in the lens. But I ran a roll of film through it anyway, and rather like the result, fungus and all. The fungus results in a bit of a soft focus and a bit of flare - the local lab said taht the B/W I shot in a local ghost town cemetery appear to be IR.

So now I'm torn between fixing it, or just using it "as is". Thing about "as is" is that I don't know how fast the fungi will grow, so I don't know if it will stay "as is."

Some photos below. I was using it to document a m/c tour contest, where we have to spell out a word (m-riders) using the first letter of town names, and the towns have to be at least 50 miles from each other. Anything not pano is Argus. The cemetery shots shown are the ones that prompted the "IR" comment from the lab:

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...our_Pics-2006/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Howdy - I hope this thread isn't so old that someone in the know misses it. I have a few questions concerning "the brick." Today, while wandering around garbage sales, I came up with several cameras, two of them notable: a Rolleiflex and an Argus. The Argus I'm certain is "a brick" but, and here's where the issue gets muddied, while reading DBP's post I note that there are a number of different models. How do I figure out which one I have? There's not even anything on the camera, other than "Argus." The inside of the top of the camera case might be a tip-off (assuming it's the original case) where there is a metal plate that says "Color-matic settings recommended for average outdoor conditions." I haven't tried this camera out yet but it appears to be fully functional, the glass is good, and the viewfinder is clear. Tiny, but clear.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Doug

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is almost certainly a C-3 Colormatic, which is one of the minor late variations before the C-3 standard, or a C-3 standard. There is a wealth of information on the Argus Collectors Group web site http://arguscg.tripod.com/.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, DBP, I'll check that site out immediately.

Doug

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGrosjean
    So now I'm torn between fixing it, or just using it "as is". Thing about "as is" is that I don't know how fast the fungi will grow, so I don't know if it will stay "as is."
    Worse than that -- if your cameras are stored in an environment with enough humidity to be reasonably comfortable for humans, the fungus can actually infect other lenses.

However, if the fungus has been in that C3 for a long time, it's likely to have etched the lens coating or possibly even the glass, and in that case you might well lose little of the "soft" quality even when rendering the camera/lens safe to keep around your other cameras. Otherwise, it's certainly easy enough to give the lens a gentle rub with a Scotchbrite pad or similar if you find it too crisp after cleaning... :o
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fun & games with "The Brick"

My first C-3 was an ebay purchase. Loved the sellers hook "Older than dirt". Got it for .99 cents and $7.00 shipping to Canada.
    The cameras leather skin was really bad. Beyond repair. I searched the web and found a site that demonstrated how to recover old cameras. I got a fake alligator skin purse from my local Sally Ann's, a bit of polibond glue,windex for cleaning and my micro tool set. Spent a snowy winter afternoon reskinning the "Brick".

Wicked looking "custom" job.

Mike

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    My first C-3 was an ebay purchase. Loved the sellers hook "Older than dirt". Got it for .99 cents and $7.00 shipping to Canada.
    The cameras leather skin was really bad. Beyond repair. I searched the web and found a site that demonstrated how to recover old cameras. I got a fake alligator skin purse from my local Sally Ann's, a bit of polibond glue,windex for cleaning and my micro tool set. Spent a snowy winter afternoon reskinning the "Brick".

Wicked looking "custom" job.

Mike
    Show us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin