Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,948   Posts: 1,585,923   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

My "Brand New" Argus C 3

I recently acquired an Argus C 3 and everything works fine, including the flashgun that attaches to the side of the camera. I have a bunch of #25 press bulbs that work in it.

But.... the Brick doesn't have place on the camera body to attach a camera strap! I guess you're expected to use the strap on the leather case which I do have for it but it doesn't look like the leather strap is strong enough to take the Brick's weight for very long. Was there any other way to carry this camera comfortably OR was it simply kept on a tripod by it's users?

This is a crazy (but fascinating) camera. Not at all user friendly! The flashgun doesn't even have a bulb ejector button!

This is one camera that you could REALLY use as a doorstop!
    Last edited by Changeling1; 05-02-2006 at 07:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations! They are great little cameras. The leather strap, if it is in good shape, will support the camera quite well. If, as is quite probable, if has torn or rotted over the years, you can screw a decent size screw eye into the case and attach a strap to that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a C3 owner's manual and it shows a red button at the top of the flash gun for releasing the bulb. I think there are straps available that screw into the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera (see gordy's camera straps one of the APUG sponsors).

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The red button on the flash was only in later models, not sure which you have. You may want to visit the Argus Collector's Group http://arguscg.tripod.com/ to see. Be sure to mark 6 Argust on your calendar this year.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everyone! I'll have to check Gordy's- great idea- like a lightmeter. My leather case and strap are in very good condition- as if they weren't used at all and I would just as soon keep them that way. There's no bulb ejector on this one but the bulbs cool off surprisingly fast. I was spoiled by the Graflites. I think it was with the C 33s that got the "upgrades"! I just can't over the way the C 3 looks (and works)! With as many as were produced, I don't recall ever having seen one until now. (credit goes to the auction site).....
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on your brick.

World Wide Pinhole Day is the last Sunday in April. In addition to a doorstop, your Argus C3 also makes a great pinhole camera. Simply remove the lens and replace it with a 0.22mm diameter pinhole (0.0087 inch).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a nice camera. Yeah my leather strap came torn, they don't seem to age well. Have fun with it, it's a fairly sharp camera for such a simple lens design.
    Last edited by ANelles; 06-11-2006 at 06:35 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep an eye on eBay...sometimes you'll find someone selling a stack of tripod-hole mount straps for very little money. I think I paid $6 for 15 of the things. Four of them were too brittle to use, but the other have all worked out fine. I have one permanently attached to my Brick, and it works fine.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could drill holes in the solid ends of the case and put in eyescrews.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just saw some family pictures from about 30 years ago, all taken with an Argus C3.
    Shot on Tri-X, they looked fantastic. Fantastic enough that now I must get myself a brick! Argh! Congratulations though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin