Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,229   Online: 814

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New Voigtlander Bessa's R2M and R3M

Maybe this is new to you all....

Did anyone see the Robert White announcement of the new Bessa's? Fully manual R2 and R3's - nice!

See
    http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/voigtlander.htm#250SEkit

for more details!

Here is a quote from the website:

The latest additions to the Voigtländer range are their 250th anniversary R2M and R3M "Special Kits"; both models will be available in "Piano Black" and "Brilliant Silver" kit form with a matching 50mm F2.0 Heliar Classic (collapsible) lens. Production quantity of anniversary kit is limited to a total 2500 units, which will be
    allocated as follows: Bessa-R2M w/Heliar Silver 300 units, Black 700 units; Bessa-R3M w/Heliar Silver 500 units, Black 1000 units.

Well, I would like an R3M, thats for sure....

Ansgar

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by alien
    Maybe this is new to you all....

Did anyone see the Robert White announcement of the new Bessa's? Fully manual R2 and R3's - nice!

See
    http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/voigtlander.htm#250SEkit

for more details!

Here is a quote from the website:

The latest additions to the Voigtländer range are their 250th anniversary R2M and R3M "Special Kits"; both models will be available in "Piano Black" and "Brilliant Silver" kit form with a matching 50mm F2.0 Heliar Classic (collapsible) lens. Production quantity of anniversary kit is limited to a total 2500 units, which will be
    allocated as follows: Bessa-R2M w/Heliar Silver 300 units, Black 700 units; Bessa-R3M w/Heliar Silver 500 units, Black 1000 units.

Well, I would like an R3M, thats for sure....

Ansgar
    So is Cosina's Bessa becoming rather a clone of Leica M3? Gee, I never thought about that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    get an R3A, it is the same but cheapr..
    no "Special Edition"
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    So is Cosina's Bessa becoming rather a clone of Leica M3? Gee, I never thought about that.
    Ya think?
    I own a Bessa/Cosina T, (a manual camera with manual TTL metering and a Leica M lens mount).

A Bessa/Cosina R3A (an automatic exposure camera with Leica M lens mount).

A Single Stroke Leica M3 (strictly manual).

The Bessa/Cosina R3M and R2m are manual cameras with Leica M lens mount.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no, R3A is not the same - R3M is fully manual and mechanical.

Ansgar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To be more specific, the Bessa R3A has an electronic shutter with aperture priority auto or LED indicated manual exposure. The shutter requires batteries. The R3M is a mechanical, battery independent shutter with manual metering. The R3M is also shipped with a new design special edition 50mm f:2 "collapsible" Heliar lens, not available elsewhere. Both R3? bodies have 1:1 finders. The Bessa R2A and R2M bodies have lower magnification finders.

And just for the record, neither of these Bessa R3? cameras shares any lineage whatsoever with the Leica R3.

http://cameraquest.com/voigt_250.htm has more details.

I've had a Bessa R3A since the first shipment to the US, and it's become my favorite 35mm rangefinder body for all around use. I love the 1:1 finder. I'm also very fond of the Bessa T.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    To be more specific, the Bessa R3A has an electronic shutter with aperture priority auto or LED indicated manual exposure. The shutter requires batteries. The R3M is a mechanical, battery independent shutter with manual metering. The R3M is also available with a new design special edition 50mm f:2 "collapsible" Heliar lens, not available elsewhere. Both R3? bodies have 1:1 finders. The Bessa R2A and R2M bodies have lower magnification finders.

And just for the record, neither of these Bessa R3? cameras shares any lineage whatsoever with the Leica R3.

http://cameraquest.com/voigt_250.htm has more details.

Lee
    Don't take what I write so seriously on this thread. I was just pointing out that the certain characteristics of the Bessa cameras seem to assemble one good Leica M3 body with a collapsible lens.

I just hope Cosina or whoever has high production skills with sufficient funds will introduce new cameras in a much slower cycle. Just like producing good albums/CDs and/or films(movies), they probably need more time to refine their products before hitting the market, so their audience will be more appreciative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't take what I write so seriously on this thread. I was just pointing out that the certain characteristics of the Bessa cameras seem to assemble one good Leica M3 body with a collapsible lens.
    Sorry if I didn't put in enough indicators that I was replying in the same spirit as you had posted. I took your comments a lot less seriously than appears to have come across. Maybe I need to use more smilies.
    I was extending your R3M - M3 analogy ad absurdum, as a joke. The Leica R3 vs Bessa R3(A/M) comment was completely "tongue in cheek", playing on the nearly identical model numbers and comparing a 1970's Leica ton-of-machined-brass SLR to a 2005 Cosina rangefinder; such different cameras that no one could possibly take them as relatives in any dimension other than that both use the same film format. (And before anyone assumes that the last sentence was brand bashing, like we really need more of that, those are two of my favorite 35mm bodies.)

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    Sorry if I didn't put in enough indicators that I was replying in the same spirit as you had posted. I took your comments a lot less seriously than appears to have come across. Maybe I need to use more smilies.
    I was extending your R3M - M3 analogy ad absurdum, as a joke. The Leica R3 vs Bessa R3(A/M) comment was completely "tongue in cheek", playing on the nearly identical model numbers and comparing a 1970's Leica ton-of-machined-brass SLR to a 2005 Cosina rangefinder; such different cameras that no one could possibly take them as relatives in any dimension other than that both use the same film format. (And before anyone assumes that the last sentence was brand bashing, like we really need more of that, those are two of my favorite 35mm bodies.)

Lee
    Gotcha.

What kills me is those German/Austrian names on Cosina's products. How many more do we have to see? It's so silly.

Why can't they have new "Cosinar" or "Cosinon" lenses on their products and get over the naming match?

Cosina is located in the mountains in Nagano, Japan, which is where the '98 winter Olympics was held. They can use that name as their new brand name instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What kills me is those German/Austrian names on Cosina's products. How many more do we have to see? It's so silly.

Why can't they have new "Cosinar" or "Cosinon" lenses on their products and get over the naming match?

Cosina is located in the mountains in Nagano, Japan, which is where the '98 winter Olympics was held. They can use that name as their new brand name instead.
    It's either habit, or marketing, or both. Cosina is so used to issuing their cameras with other brand names on them, Nikon, Olympus, Rollei, Epson, Zeiss, etc. People know the Cosina name, but aren't as impressed by it. The Bessa L was at first called the Cosina SW-107, but I don't think it sold as well. And when you're trying to steal a share of the German rangefinder market, Voigtlander and Bessa are good names to have on your product. Companies here in the US have found that new products are more successful if they have a name that ties in with an existing successful product, so another version of candy named Snickers (for instance) sells much better than a new product with an entirely new name.

And besides, Cosina gets to issue an impressive sounding 250th anniversary special edition if they license the name Voigtlander. I don't begrudge them making a bit of extra money off collectors, but I wish they'd bring out a users R3M and 50 f:2 Heliar at a normal price.

I think APUG members are on the whole much less susceptible to name brand hype than consumers in general, and other online photo fora. They don't spend a lot of time in brand name holy wars (although you do see a few knee jerk brand reactions occasionally). That lack of pretense and identifying oneself with a brand is one of the things that keeps me around here.

Lee

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin