Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,284   Online: 1154

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retina IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've tried to whittle them down, but each one seems to have a purpose. The Canon F-1N is mostly for birds, and it's often accompanied by a Gowland 4x5". 5x7" Press Graphic SLR for portraits of moving subjects on sunny days. Sinar 8x10" P is kind of the around-the-house still life and portrait camera. The 8x10" Gowland gets out of the house more. Voigtlander Perkeo II is the briefcase camera. Tech V 4x5" is the travel camera of late for its ruggedness and versatility, but the Bronica S2a kit maybe more for walking around in cities and some studio portraits. The Voigtlander Superb TLR is a nice inconspicuous street shooter. The old 11x14" is still looking for its niche, but I'm using it more and more, as I've worked out the mechanical kinks--replaced the bellows, fixed the bed cracks, modified the back for standard holders, etc. The 6x9 Tech V is waiting to have its lenses cammed, but I use it occasionally as a view camera.

Coolpix 990?--handy for archiving documents and posting items for sale in the APUG classifieds.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Robert,

Well, my wife and I do have two digis, a Nikon D70 and a Minox 8111.

Frances refers to the 8111 as her new short-term memory and I use the Nikon for pack-shots, step-by-steps, record shots and the like -- and even for 'real' photography with soft-focus lenses and for a (very few) subjects. There's a new gallery at www.rogerandfrances.com called '1000 Motels' which is entirely digi, but that's because we thought digi reflected the banality of motels (and we like the strange things the auto white balance does).

But we didn't even take the digis on our trip to China a few months ago; we just shot about 150 rolls of film in Leica, Voigtlander and Alpa.

Professionally, the digi is invaluable. For fun -- and I much prefer being an amateur to being a professional -- film wins hands down, as some of the other galleries on the site will (I hope) show. I'm shooting more and more mono and less and less colour, too...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear PhotoJim.

I absolutely agree about the pleasure of using the camera to take pictures -- and there's an inherent pleasure in using a piece of good mechanical engineering for its intended purpose.

I once badly upset A Major Manufacturer about 10 years ago at the launch of their new super-auto-everything 35mm SLR. He asked me what I thought, and I said, "Well, I prefer smaller, lighter cameras, so I use medium format."

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogeranmdfrances.com)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Professionally, the digi is invaluable. For fun -- and I much prefer being an amateur to being a professional -- film wins hands down, as some of the other galleries on the site will (I hope) show. I'm shooting more and more mono and less and less colour, too...

Cheers,

Roger
    I'm doing fine without it, but each to his own.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Roger Hicks]
    What governs which camera you pick up?

Depends on my mood. I like my retinas too. Why I pick up a 1b rather than my 2a or 3c I don't know. I often throw a retina in my pocket when I'm shooting my Rollieflex or Graflex. There are times when the smaller negative of the same shot gives a totally different effect. I shoot more medium format than 35mm. Right now I have a roll of Ektar 25 (!) in the Mamiya back I use on my Century Graphic. I usually take a retina along when I take the Century out. A friend gave me 5 rolls of Ektar 25 he found in the bottom of his freezer. He's gone totally digital and he's cleaning out his old stock. As I have said before, "God Bless Digital!!"

I'm hoping this film will be OK. It expired in '97, but it's been frozen. I'll post some results when I get it souped.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well Roger that is a great question and I have been struggling to find an answer. I have heaps of cameras and have great difficulty at times in choosing which to go with. One thing that I do is leave the work cameras at home ( F5 and F100 ) to separate work from play! I have a little project at the moment in that I am posting a different classic camera each month on my website with a snippet of information and a few photos.

I find this a great way to use all the cameras in my collection and have a little fun besides.

Today I took my Voigtlander Bessamatic out for an airing, it will be the camera for June. Have a peek by googling tony lockerbie and going to classic cameras.

Btw I liked the China photos that you and Francis took and had published in Black and White Photography ( have I mentioned how good that magazine is!) Also own your book on Rangefinders.

Cheers, Tony

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think we all look at what we have and try to decide what to take. Sometimes, I'll pick something just because it hasn't been used in a while. Other times, I choose based on what I think I'll be shooting.

For the zoo, I like an SLR with longer lenses plus a wide angle. If I'm out on a fun day trip, maybe a small 35mm rangefinder plus a 120 roll-film camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Robert,

Yes, but you don't shoot pack shots and step-by-steps. Digi is ideal for that sort of thing -- and I often need that sort of thing to illustrate articles. If I were selling only pictures-as-pictures (which I think may be closer to what you do) rather than 'this is what a Zeiss Ikon looks like' or 'this is how you load a 120 spool', it would be a different story.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm
    I think we all look at what we have and try to decide what to take. Sometimes, I'll pick something just because it hasn't been used in a while. Other times, I choose based on what I think I'll be shooting.

For the zoo, I like an SLR with longer lenses plus a wide angle. If I'm out on a fun day trip, maybe a small 35mm rangefinder plus a 120 roll-film camera.
    What we have handy is also a strong deciding factor.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Tony,

Very nice pics! And good camera summaries too. Fun!

Thanks for the kind words. There are lots more China pics on www.rogerandfrances.com in the gallery.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin