Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,823   Online: 1167

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retina IIa

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Robert,

Yes, but you don't shoot pack shots and step-by-steps. Digi is ideal for that sort of thing -- and I often need that sort of thing to illustrate articles. If I were selling only pictures-as-pictures (which I think may be closer to what you do) rather than 'this is what a Zeiss Ikon looks like' or 'this is how you load a 120 spool', it would be a different story.

Cheers,

Roger
    Sorry Roger, I didn't mean to come across so critical. There are a lot of people who use digital for those things it is good for, I have a Canon A510 that I use for snaps myself.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Robert,

No need to apologize!

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so defensive... (I really don't like the beastly things)

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I sometimes choose cameras based on whether I've used a particular one in a while. Actually, I have one now (a Conley Junior (or something like that)) which is waiting to be used for the first time in probably 70+ years. Well, maybe not that long, but it was my grandma's camera and after having the bellows replaced and the shutter cla'd last year, I think I should get out and use it.

I suppose that I also choose the camera based on the subject matter and the circumstances/area in which I'll be shooting.
    Diane

Halak 41

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Robert,

Yes, but you don't shoot pack shots and step-by-steps. Digi is ideal for that sort of thing -- and I often need that sort of thing to illustrate articles. If I were selling only pictures-as-pictures (which I think may be closer to what you do) rather than 'this is what a Zeiss Ikon looks like' or 'this is how you load a 120 spool', it would be a different story.

Cheers,

Roger
    I keep toying with replacing my digicam for that reason. I let the last girlfriend keep the old one as she was using it all the time to document locations and props for filmmakers. It really helped to be able to shoot something and then email it to the producer and ask if that was what they wanted. But I do miss it occasionally when I need to rebuild something or send a quick snap to the family of something new, like my garden.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear DBP,

Yup, that's about it.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    The 50/2 Xenon on my Retinas (IIa and IIIc) make those go-to cameras for me. I just love that lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Frame of mind tends to influence which camera I use.

I seem to be drawn to, what I perceive to be , my better cameras when I feel I should indulge in some "serious" photography.

When photography isn't my main agenda for the day I tend to carry a "fun" camera. I often use an olympus trip, a yashica minister III or even a Cosmic 35 from time to time!

I guess it's all relative really because photography is my hobby as opposed to my livelihood it's always fun!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Choices. Only two. Makes things easy.

Will it be the 8x10, 9 1/2" & 19" lenses, V-spot and O-serie Leica in the 30# backpack (plus the thousand# Ries), or just the 16oz toy along with my recall-challenged brain in place of the spot meter?

Right! Time to play! :•)

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other day a photographer asked me when I was going to go digital. I told him it would happen when I could find one with the quality and handling of the Retina IIa I was carrying at an equal price. So I'm holding out for an 11MP rangefinder with a full frame sensor, 50/2, and no shutter lag, small enough to fit in my pocket for under $100. Might take a while.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    As always, my choice is Velvia.
    Why don't you loosen up once in a while Robert and shoot some B&W film?
    Don Bryant

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin