Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,947   Posts: 1,557,848   Online: 834

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

My first rangefinder!!

Just got my first rangefinder and I can't believe how quiet this thing is! I've been using a Minolta X-700 for the past year and had gotten pretty used to it, this little Canonet QL17 is so different though. I think I'm going to go out and have a little fun!
    Jono

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I enjoy rangefinders. They are quiet, light, and easy to use. Just remember to remove the lens cap before shooting as you will not be able to tell by looking in the viewfinder.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I purchased a QL17 a few months ago and just love it. It is my first 35mm RF as well. The lens on that thing is fantastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    I enjoy rangefinders. They are quiet, light, and easy to use. Just remember to remove the lens cap before shooting as you will not be able to tell by looking in the viewfinder.

- Randy
    Well even Alfred Eisenstadt forgot to remove the lens caps on his Leica M series cameras on more than one occasion.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That part of the appeal of the collapsible Elmar for me. When I expand it I remove the cap and then when I collapse it, the cap goes back on. The QLs are nice cameras though. I've never owned one, but I have seen many and they always seemed like great cameras.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on your Canon QL17 rangefinder. What condition are the light seals on the inside of the camera back? Did you have to replace them or were they in good condition?

Shooter
    35mm
    The lightseals look ok to me, of course I'm pretty new to photography and unless things are in pretty awful shape I wouldn't know the difference. We'll see after I get some film developed.
    The meter on the QL17 is on top of the lens, so if you've got the lens cap on it won't let you take a shot. I like that feature, I'm pretty sure without it I'd end up wasting a bunch of film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jono1515
    The meter on the QL17 is on top of the lens, so if you've got the lens cap on it won't let you take a shot. I like that feature, I'm pretty sure without it I'd end up wasting a bunch of film!
    In the short time that I've owned the QL17, there have been many times that this feature has come into play.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations! And good choice for first rangefinder.

If the lightseals don't stick to your finger, don't worry about them. As for the meter, don't be afraid to override it, even though it makes it easier to leave the lens cap on. All meters can be fooled unusual lighting conditions much more readily than you can.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If the lightseals are bad, don't worry about it overly. Jon Goodman, a member on this site, sells light seal replacement kits that are both easy to install and very effective. You can replace them in about 30 minutes or less and the kit comes with everything you will need.

- Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin