Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,849   Online: 721

Shooter
    Medium Format

thrift shop find

While bumming around a thrift shop a few days ago, I came across this Tower rangefinder with a Nikkor 5cm f/2. Processed the first roll of APX 100 shot with it this morning. It appears to take a decent photo (despite the operator!); the glass was clean with no haze or fungus, although the aperture blades had oil on them. Sleuthing revealed some background at Stephen Gandy's cameraquest.com/nicca.htm. Now, if I can just remember to not leave it face up to sun with the cap off and then lens focused to infinity.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tower up1.jpg   tower up2.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF

I found a couple of them, but didn't buy.

I was in North Bend, OR this weekend. In an antique shop, they had about 10 cameras including 2 Speed Graphics, a Minolta Hi-Matic F and a Yashica GN or GTN.

They wanted under $30/ea for the two rangefinders.

I already have enough, so I'll let someone else get them.

don

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonglen
    While bumming around a thrift shop a few days ago, I came across this Tower rangefinder with a Nikkor 5cm f/2. Processed the first roll of APX 100 shot with it this morning. It appears to take a decent photo (despite the operator!); the glass was clean with no haze or fungus, although the aperture blades had oil on them. Sleuthing revealed some background at Stephen Gandy's cameraquest.com/nicca.htm. Now, if I can just remember to not leave it face up to sun with the cap off and then lens focused to infinity.....

That is a nice Leica copy and the Nikkor is a fine lens. The combo would likely sell for $300.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonglen
    Now, if I can just remember to not leave it face up to sun with the cap off and then lens focused to infinity.....
    Jammy b****er!

Enjoy it.

At f/8 or less it won't burn anyway.

Cheers

Roger (rangefinder addict - see www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    35mm
    I just thought of an idea! I have 2 Petri 7s rangefinder and one of them is not working right. It sometimes doesn't advance the film properly. Now since it has a 45mm f/1.8 lens, and if I set it on B, lens wide open, focused at infinity, put a piece of paper at the film plane and point it at the sun. I think I would have a reliable fire starter do you think?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin