Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,758   Online: 959

Shooter
    Multi Format

Good place to get a CLA....

Okay, as I posted in the other thread about the Leica IIIb that I picked up on Saturday, and I am very happy, but I would like to know who is a good shop to send it to, for a complete CLA to check all the functions and tune it up, anybody got a good recommendation? I have a couple of repair shops I work with for my modern AF cameras, but want to make sure and send this to a shop that has a good amount of experiance with this type of vintage camera.

Thanks for any insight.

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Cameraquest
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Don Goldberg. Dag Camera. http://www.dagcamera.com/
    Honest. Fair. Inexpensive considering the quality of the work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don Goldberg at D.A.G. Camera Repair (608) 835-3342 or Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch Quality Camera Repair (845) 496-8834. Both are highly recommended by the Leica Historical Society for their outstanding care of older Leicas.

I don't think CameraQuest is a repair facility--they are a "middleman" and ship the camera off to other facilities. Personally, I want to talk to the actual person performing the work.
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I sent my IIf to Oleg at http://www.okvintagecamera.com/. He did a CLA and replaced the curtains for $74. Lot cheaper than DAG or Sherry and he did an excellent job.

The catch you, ask? He lives in Russian and the camera was away for six weeks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dave, not knowing your location its difficult to make suggestions.
    Last edited by Andy K; 07-20-2006 at 04:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sherry. She's also fun to talk to if your personalities match.

I've used both Goldberg and Sherry but my preference is Sherry because of my conversations with her and also the personal attention and quality of the work. Sherry has quite a history with Leica.

But I'd say these are your two top choices.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin