Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,991   Posts: 1,633,114   Online: 1045

Thread: Soft release?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Soft release?

does anybody knows were can I buy a "soft release" for a Leica M?

I know that there is such thing in the world, a fellow photographer that only uses Leica equipment have all their gear fitted with it, but I couldn't find it in any camera stores in New York and it is not listed in the Leica Camera AG web site as an accessory.

Help!!!
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought that Photovillage had Abrahamsson Softies and Mini-Softies in stock, but my memory could be playing tricks. You could call them on (212) 989-1252

Tom's website is here: http://www.rapidwinder.com/

Other versions are available. There's the Nikon AR-9 (seven bucks) and the Pentax (ten bucks). There are others.

Which M do you want it for? M7 shutter releases can get a bit notchy with a full-size softie.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    I thought that Photovillage had Abrahamsson Softies and Mini-Softies in stock, but my memory could be playing tricks. You could call them on (212) 989-1252

Tom's website is here: http://www.rapidwinder.com/

Other versions are available. There's the Nikon AR-9 (seven bucks) and the Pentax (ten bucks). There are others.

Which M do you want it for? M7 shutter releases can get a bit notchy with a full-size softie.

Best,
    Helen
    Really? I'm looking for M7 and MP, are they "notchy" for them?, there is no difference between this models related with the shutter, I think
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure exactly which models are affected. It's no big deal, anyway. It only occurs when there is a little torque on the shutter release. If you use the usual index finger straightening method (right index finger second joint placed over shutter release) you probably won't have the problem. If you use another method I'm not sure that there is any real advantage in using the losable thing, except to waste frames and drain the battery. I'm happy with either full-size or mini versions.

Best,
    Helen

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&H's web page says they have the Nikon ones in stock.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You can buy them at Camera Quest

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've had the same experience on my M6 ttl and MP, not on my M2. The soft release due to its size places some torque on the release while your shooting. If the release IS torqued while releasing it feels less then perfectly smooth. My M6ttl was worse then my present MP. My M2 doesn't torque at all. I plan to pick the mini soft as soon as I loose my last reqular size one.

Don't let this stop you the improvement is significantly greater then the notchy thing.
    Chris
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Abrahamsson Softy works fine on my M6 ttl.

Hmm.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Jose,

Presumably you have tried your chum's soft releases and like them. If not, try them first, as they don't suit everyone. I've tried various models on various cameras, including the original Leica one that (as far as I recall -- I can't find it at the moment) converts the modern tapered-Compur release of an M to the old-fashioned collar (screw) variety. None of them was a patch on the plain body release, for my money.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another place that stocks this item: www.leicatime.com

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin