Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,910   Online: 1114

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom/ Neil

The camera has been in for cleaning (and had the light trap replacing as well), they could'nt see a problem and did run an undeveloped film through it with no obvious evidence of scratches. I have done this once also but could'nt see any scratches either but I will try again as you suggest.

I understand you points about film development but I am not getting similar scratches when developing film from my Bronica SQA, so I would assume if it was a problem with my developement technique then I would be experiencing a similar problem with the Bronica. Also the scratches always appear exactly on the same horizons top and bottom on the film.

Just to re-confirm the problem there are two sets of double lined scratches that appear about 10mm in from the top and bottom of the film. The scratches always appear as a double line about 3 or 4mm apart (at a guess), but are not a continous line but often only about 2 or 3mm in length. As I write this it dawns on me that the problem might be with the rollers either side of the 6x9 opening - I'll concentrate on these and give them another clean.

This is very frustrating because I value everyones comments and help but I feel I have exhausted all avenues in trying to resolve the scratch issue however, I'll have another go this weekend at cleaning it and will use a magnifying glass to check for any burrs or other such things that could be causing the problem.

Once again many thanks

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi. John, although I 'm not familiar with this particular camera, what you're experiencing is what we used to call " tramline scratches " and were due to burrs on the film guide rails scratching the emulsion as the film was transported, if you run a finger along them you may be able to feel them .
    I hope this is of some help, I know how frustrating this problem must be, I hope you resolve it soon.

Best wishes.
    Ben

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen scratches such as you describe in a camera where the pin rollers (the small rollers at the ends of the film gate) weren't turning as they should due to dirty or bent bearings. When a roller siezes temporarily, it may (probably will) scratch the emulsion as the film is dragged over it, and then, due to camera movement, changes in temperature, etc. may unsieze and stop scratching. This will produce scratches parallel to the film edge, anywhere in the frame or on the edge outside the frame, ranging in length from a few centimeters to full film length.

I found it pretty easy, in my 1927 Voigtlander Rollfilmkamera, to feel that this was happening by rolling the pins with my fingers, and after slight adjustment of the bearings (just pieces of sheet with holes for the ends of the pins) was able to free them up so they roll reliably, though a tiny speck of teflon grease might not come amiss.

A GSW may complicate this fix if one of the rollers has star wheels on it that are part of the frame counter -- I'm not familiar with that camera, but I wouldn't expect a star wheel roller to slip and any marks made by the wheels would be outside the image area, on the unexposed film edges.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John, the problem must be with the rollers, some kind of burr I would imagine. My 690 has taken 414 rolls according to the counter and hasn't scratched a single roll. So the problem is not symptomatic of this camera model.Hope you can track it down, very frustrating. The 690 is worth perservering with as it takes superb images.
    Cheers, Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony Hi,

Having read Donalds and Bentleys replies with much interest (thanks guys) along with yours I can't see the problem being anything else other than a burr on the rollers. The scratches are far to uniform and consistant so I will be concentrating on the rollers and giving them a damn good clean and close inspection under a magnifying glass.

Once again many thanks to you all for yuor replies and hopefully this problem can be resolved in the very near future. I'll keep you all posted on progress.

Cheers

John

Images
    Good Morning, John,

Just an obvious suggestion: any rough spot on the rollers will probably be more easily detected by FEEL than by visual inspection. Hope it works out for you; the MF Fuji's produce great images.

Konical

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin