Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,648   Online: 935

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Voigtlaender L lenses and Bessa R2A or R3A body

Hello,

I find good deal in Europe for Voigtlaender Bessa R2A and R3A cameras and 35mm/f2,5 Color Skopar PII (M mount), Nokton 40mm/f1,9 (M mount), M39 12mm/f5,6 Super Wide Heliar, M39 21mm/f4 Color Skopar, M39 28mm/f1,9 Ultron lenses.

Now prices (all new equipment) attracted me enough to buy one of those bodies and one lens for start (I am between 35mm Color Skopar and 21mm Color skopar, maybe 28mm Ultron).

I know about Stephen Gandy from Cameraques in USA, but I find dificult to deal with USA (paying without credit card) comanies, and these prices in Europe are simillar to Stephens.

Now, my question is: I know about adapter ring for mounting M39 lenses on Bessa R2A or R3A bodies, which have VM (Leica M) mount. But, what is situation if I decide to buy some of Voigtlaender L mount lenses (for example 50mm Color Skopar or 90mm Apo Lanther). I have not seen how Voigtlaender L mount lenses are mounted on Bessa R2A or R3A bodies, that is I have not seen adapter for that.

Next question, betveen lenses I mentioned what is by your opinion best for start, 35mm Color Skopar, 28mm Ultron, 25mm Snap Shot Skopar or 21mm Color Skopar. I am toward 25mm, but it is L mount lens, so buying depends on can I mount it to Bessa R2A or R3A body. I plan to have kit with 50mm lens (Color Skopar will be most certain choice depend of L/VM answer because it is L mount lens), one wide angle (and there is my biggest dillema), and one short telephoto (75mm or 90mm, will see yet, again mount issue).

So, in short, can Voigtlaender L mount lenses be mounted on Bessa R2A or R3A camera?

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haris,

The Voigtlander screwmount lenses can be mounted on the R2A or R3A with the same adapter you would use for a Leica M. The R2's and R3's use the same bayonet mount as Leica and the lenses are interchangeable. I have a 21mm Skopar, a 40mm Nokton S.C., and 75mm Color-Heliar that I use on a Leica M6 and a Hexar RF with no problems. I find the Voigtlander lenses to be quite nice and a great value.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on what your photography style is as the lenses you mention are quite different.
    My first rangefinder lenses were 35mm and 90mm. I added others when I felt it was appropriate.
    You could do a lot worse than get the 35mm IMHO - ask yourself whether you will really need to justify the extra expense and weight of the f1.4 vs the f2.5.

All of the CV lenses are excellent.

Good luck with your purchases!
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Richard and Mark.

Richard, I am sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I know I can use M39 to M mount adapter for Bessa cameras. My question was about L mount lenses on Bessa R2A or R3A cameras. I haven't see L mount lens to M mount camera adapter. How to put L mount lens on M mount camera, both are Voigtlaender?

For example: How to put 50mm Color Skopar (L mount) lens on Bessa R2A (VM (M)mount) camera?

I know about adapter M39 lens to M mount camera, it is not my question.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Haris,
    I'm not sure about what you mean by "L" mount lenses. If you mean lenses for the Bessa L camera, they are Leica Thread Mount. The Bessa "SL" lenses are for the SLR cameras and I don't think that there is an adapter for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haris,

If I'm not mistaken the Voigtlander L mount is the standard Leica screwmount thread and all you need is a regular Leica thread to M bayonet mount adapter such as: http://www.adorama.com/VTAM50.html. I hope this helps.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage
    Haris,

If I'm not mistaken the Voigtlander L mount is the standard Leica screwmount thread and all you need is a regular Leica thread to M bayonet mount adapter such as: http://www.adorama.com/VTAM50.html. I hope this helps.

Richard Wasserman
    Dear Richard,

If you are mistaken, so are we all including Hirofumi Kobayashi.

Incidentally, how many people realize that this is 39mm x 26 tpi, not 39x1mm (39mm x 25.4 tpi)? Apparently some lens makers didn't, in the 1950s...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Richard,

If you are mistaken, so are we all including Hirofumi Kobayashi.

Incidentally, how many people realize that this is 39mm x 26 tpi, not 39x1mm (39mm x 25.4 tpi)? Apparently some lens makers didn't, in the 1950s...

Cheers,

R.
    I've read that this 26 tpi pitch is "inherited" from a common microscope thread pitch before metric was fully adopted. Not sure if that's urban legend or not.

Lee

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's probably derived from the pitch angle of the threads, just like the utterly weird threads on the Compound shutters...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    I've read that this 26 tpi pitch is "inherited" from a common microscope thread pitch before metric was fully adopted. Not sure if that's urban legend or not.

Lee
    Dear Lee

That's what I've heard too, and it's logical. RMS (Royal Microscopical Society) threads were the first in the world to be standardized -- before the metric system was invented, unless I'm mistaken -- and Leitz were microscope manufacturers.

Of course the fact that it's logical doesn't make it true.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin