Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,455   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    T42

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    The F is a pretty cool camera, but [COLOR=red]it's one of the least usable of the Nikon SLRs[/COLOR].

The F2AS, now...

And don't get me started on the F3HP... I've fallen in love with mine. A totally indulgent purchase, and worth every nickel.
    Hello PhotoJim.

Could you elaborate on that a bit? I'm using an F, an F2, and an M3. I'm relating pretty well with the thread consensus here to keep the F and the M2. But I cannot fathom the statement that the F is one of the least usable Nikon SLRs. To me, any Nikon with less than 100% frame accurate viewing and without interchangeable finders and screens would be, by some measure, less usable than an F. That must include more than a few Nikon made SLRs designed to meet price points by stripping away features that some seasoned old snorts still use and appreciate.

While I do prefer my F2 to my F, on any given day I pick up either and use it about as easily as the other. I think I could share your enthusiasm for the F3HP. If I were picking out an F class camera body today, the F3HP would be it. I could put up with the battery dependence for all that it is.

Happy day.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

And don't get me started on the F3HP... I've fallen in love with mine. A totally indulgent purchase, and worth every nickel.
    Hi Jim,

YES!!

The F3HP is the uber-Nikon manual (semi-auto) SLR. I now have three!

I would definitely agree that the OP should ditch the F if he were to replace it with a F3HP. They go for around $250 w/50mm Nikkor.

Someday folks will speak of the F3HP in the same reverential terms they use for the M3 - espescially the "buttery smooth" film advance lever.

Oh, oh I love it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm curious as well, as other than the shutter release being on the back of the top-plate rather than the front, what's wrong with the original F? On the other hand, I may need an introspective moment with my equipment, as I seem to prefer shooting with the F2 as well, and I haven't entirely figured out what the difference is, other than the shutter-release position.

Quite seriously, is it the rounded edges, slightly less blocky build, balance? All I know is 100% viewfinder, always works, doesn't care about cold, and comfortable enough that I take it along and get good pictures with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The things I don't like about the F:

- a non-hinged back
    - an unwieldy set of metering prisms - they work but they take obsolete batteries and they're kind of ugly; the non-metering prism looks really nice but it's hard to find in good condition and has become very pricey
    - the motor drive system works but it's unwieldy and inconvenient, and older Fs need modification to work with it
    - if you do have a metering prism, it won't meter at full aperture with Series E and AF lenses... yes, I know this is being nitpicky because a lot of people who use this camera would use the manual lenses, but there are a lot of fantastic autofocus lenses that work on this camera in stop-down metering mode only (or using a handheld meter of course) ... any f/2.8 zoom for example

Why I like the F3HP better:

- hinged back
    - excellent 80/20 centreweighted metering
    - impeccable mechanical construction... in the ballpark of Leicas. Just wind one.
    - a convenient 5 fps motor drive that is not only cheap (low $100 US range in "user" condition), but rewinds the film and is very meager on batteries (100+ rolls of 36 per set, and that includes running the camera itself - the button cell is disabled when the motor drive is connected)
    - it works with every Nikkor lens ever made, except the G lenses - albeit that you can't meter at full aperture with non-AI Nikkors... but you can easily get those lenses modified to permit full aperture metering
    - did I say that it winds nicely?
    - HP viewfinder... a little less magnification than the F finder (although you can get a non-HP viewfinder if you miss that), but more practical for those of us who wear glasses (which most of us that can afford Leicas need )

I'd love to own an F... but I wouldn't buy one to use (other than for occasional use). The F3HP is the best manual F body. The F2AS is good if you absolutely want to be free of batteries, but I've learned that isn't an issue 98% of the time (and it gets to -40 [C or F they're the same!] during the winter here)...
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE=PhotoJim]The F3HP is the best manual F body. [QUOTE]

Sorry, completely disagree. I have five 'real' Fs: started using them when they were still current and never stopped. For a decade or so, when I found another (or another standard prism) at the right price, I bought 'em. All have standard prisms; two are black; three are chrome; one is dedicated to an NPC Polaroid back.

They're virtually indestructible, dead simple and a pleasure to use. And if you can use an M-series Leica with a removable bottom, the F's removable back is no hardship. Admittedly you can break 'em, but it's not easy: as far as I recall, Page stopped a bullet with one in Vietnam, which did break it. Next to an F, ANY other F-series is ugly; none is as reliable; and far too many are battery dependent.

They don't see much use any more (I also have two M2, one M4-P, one MP) but they're now worth so little that it's not worth selling 'em.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The things I don't like about the F:

- a non-hinged back
    - an unwieldy set of metering prisms - they work but they take obsolete batteries and they're kind of ugly; the non-metering prism looks really nice but it's hard to find in good condition and has become very pricey
    - the motor drive system works but it's unwieldy and inconvenient, and older Fs need modification to work with it
    - if you do have a metering prism, it won't meter at full aperture with Series E and AF lenses... yes, I know this is being nitpicky because a lot of people who use this camera would use the manual lenses, but there are a lot of fantastic autofocus lenses that work on this camera in stop-down metering mode only (or using a handheld meter of course) ... any f/2.8 zoom for example. . . .
    I llike and use the F often, but agree with PhotoJim. The removable back may have been a convenience in using a Speed Magny Polaroid back and the 250 exposure back. After all, the F body was only a small part of a very extensive system, and had to accomodate a wide variety of accessories. There was no other readily available system like the Nikon. Another peculiarity of the F was the mirror lock-up. The F's baby brother, the Nikkormat, had its own pecularities, but is a durable and useful part of the Nikon system. The quality of both cameras is fine. When using them alongside a Leica M, the smoothness of the German engineering and construction is obvious, but it's the image that counts, and both deliver.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Why I like the F3HP better:

- hinged back
    - excellent 80/20 centreweighted metering
    - impeccable mechanical construction... in the ballpark of Leicas. Just wind one.
    - a convenient 5 fps motor drive that is not only cheap (low $100 US range in "user" condition), but rewinds the film and is very meager on batteries (100+ rolls of 36 per set, and that includes running the camera itself - the button cell is disabled when the motor drive is connected)
    - it works with every Nikkor lens ever made, except the G lenses - albeit that you can't meter at full aperture with non-AI Nikkors... but you can easily get those lenses modified to permit full aperture metering
    - did I say that it winds nicely?
    - HP viewfinder... a little less magnification than the F finder (although you can get a non-HP viewfinder if you miss that), but more practical for those of us who wear glasses (which most of us that can afford Leicas need )

I'd love to own an F... but I wouldn't buy one to use (other than for occasional use). The F3HP is the best manual F body. The F2AS is good if you absolutely want to be free of batteries, but I've learned that isn't an issue 98% of the time (and it gets to -40 [C or F they're the same!] during the winter here)...
    Jim,

You pretty much summed it all up - the F3HP is built to last but with an "elegance" of a fine machine - that advance lever is just so smooth.

As to owning an F - I did pick one up on eBay a while back for precisely the reason you noted - it's nice to have it - but I use it only occassionally. I also have both a S2 and SP and get a kick out of how the F really is just an SP "hybrid" with the SLR viewfinder attached.

I don't know much about the F2 - but by the time you get to the F3 you have a "true" SLR.

BTW: Jim Jones comments about the Nikkormat are "on point". The Nikkormat FT2 was my first SLR. It is a bare bones camera, built to last forever, and was a moderately-priced way for "newbies" back then to get into the Nikon/Nikkor system.

I guess you can tell I'm a Nikonian!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have a Nikkormat FT3 - the Nikkormats are great cameras. They definitely have some operational quirks, but they are one of the best mechanical SLRs for handheld photography. (I find that the quirky lens-mount-encircling shutter speed ring is pretty convenient to use with the camera to the eye, although with the camera on a tripod, it's another matter.)

Let it be known though that I don't always need perfect ergonomics. My favourite camera of late has been my Zorki 4. It's been serviced by Oleg Khalyavin and is it ever smooth. (Roger, stay away from me... I don't want you tempting me with your Leicas... plllleeeeeeeaaaaasssseeee doooooooooooon't...)
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of selling Nikons to buy a Leica...

I have a question.
    I have an F100 set up, with four lenes, the SB-80dx and MB-15 and am thinking of selling it to buy an M6 TTL and 35mm lens.
    My photography is kind of changing and I haven't used my F100 for more than a year.
    So I am wondering if I could sell my F100 and accessories and have enough for an M6 and 35mm lens.
    Thanks!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Speaking of selling Nikons to buy a Leica...

I have a question.
    I have an F100 set up, with four lenes, the SB-80dx and MB-15 and am thinking of selling it to buy an M6 TTL and 35mm lens.
    My photography is kind of changing and I haven't used my F100 for more than a year.
    So I am wondering if I could sell my F100 and accessories and have enough for an M6 and 35mm lens.
    Thanks!
    Brian
    Depends on the lenses.

A used M6 with 35mm will cost you around $1500 (I was considering such a purchase a couple months ago).

A used F100 on eBay will go for $300 to $500 (price is dropping).

BTW: I think that there is a demand right now for the M6 w/lens as a "reasonable priced" strategy as people are figuring it's a good way to position themselves for the digital M8.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin