Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,233   Online: 737
      
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Depends on the lenses.

    A used M6 with 35mm will cost you around $1500 (I was considering such a purchase a couple months ago).

    A used F100 on eBay will go for $300 to $500 (price is dropping).

    BTW: I think that there is a demand right now for the M6 w/lens as a "reasonable priced" strategy as people are figuring it's a good way to position themselves for the digital M8.
    Well, I have the 80-200 AF-S, the 24 mm, and the 35-70 D and a Sigma 14mm ASP-EX all f/2.8.
    Plus a Tamrac backpack to fit it all in!
    I didn't realize the prices were going down!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

    "Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

  2. #22
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Well, I have the 80-200 AF-S, the 24 mm, and the 35-70 D and a Sigma 14mm ASP-EX all f/2.8.
    Plus a Tamrac backpack to fit it all in!
    I didn't realize the prices were going down!
    Brian
    You will get a better total price if you sell the items individually (although the Sigma won't command much and you might as well keep the backpack). Bit more of a pain - but worth the hassle.

    BTW: how fast is the 24mm?

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    You will get a better total price if you sell the items individually (although the Sigma won't command much and you might as well keep the backpack). Bit more of a pain - but worth the hassle.

    BTW: how fast is the 24mm?
    Selling each item individually is my plan.
    All lenes are f/2.8.
    So in your opinion do you think I could get enough for an M TTL and a 35mm?
    Just seeking advice.
    Thanks!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

    "Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

  4. #24
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Selling each item individually is my plan.
    All lenes are f/2.8.
    So in your opinion do you think I could get enough for an M TTL and a 35mm?
    Just seeking advice.
    Thanks!
    Brian
    Yes, I think you'll get in the ball park - a lot will depend on condition of course. If you decide to go forward - I might be interested in the 24mm.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Yes, I think you'll get in the ball park - a lot will depend on condition of course. If you decide to go forward - I might be interested in the 24mm.

    OK.
    I'll keep that in mind!
    Thanks!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

    "Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

  6. #26
    Mark Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swindon, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    162
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    'How many cameras do you need?')
    How many have you got? How much time do you have?
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

    http://www.monomagic.co.uk

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,325
    "Someday folks will speak of the F3HP in the same reverential terms they use for the M3..."

    I disagree on the F3. It was such a disappointment to me, it was the last new Nikon I bought.

    I stated with F and FTn Photomics and happily upgraded to F2's (especially when some SOB stole my two old F's). I also happily bought an early F3 because I was a Nikon guy. I think I've posted this before--the short version is the early F3's were totally unreliable. Nikon had a lot of problems associated with the F3. Professionals won't use what doesn't work properly and they had to do a lot of modifications to finally make the camera work (does anyone besides me remember the "F3P" available only through Nikon Professional Services?). By the time they did fix the F3's problems, I had lost faith in Nikon's ability to make reliable cameras and I only used F2's.

  8. #28
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    "Someday folks will speak of the F3HP in the same reverential terms they use for the M3..."

    I disagree on the F3. It was such a disappointment to me, it was the last new Nikon I bought.

    I stated with F and FTn Photomics and happily upgraded to F2's (especially when some SOB stole my two old F's). I also happily bought an early F3 because I was a Nikon guy. I think I've posted this before--the short version is the early F3's were totally unreliable. Nikon had a lot of problems associated with the F3. Professionals won't use what doesn't work properly and they had to do a lot of modifications to finally make the camera work (does anyone besides me remember the "F3P" available only through Nikon Professional Services?). By the time they did fix the F3's problems, I had lost faith in Nikon's ability to make reliable cameras and I only used F2's.
    Lee,

    I cannot know what "was" only what "is". Today the F3 series is long out of production. Whatever problems may have existed with early production models - by later in the model run the F3HP was a top class piece of gear.

    We here are talking about purchasing used gear of long discontinued models. A late model F3HP version is what to look for if one were to go "eBay shopping" nowadays.

    As to professionals, one of the reasons so many F3s are on eBay is that they lasted for years and are now being "dumped" by the print media in the race to digital.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    11
    Images
    8
    I have an M3, a IIIa, and a Pentax K-1000. Even though I've used the Pentax for 30 years, when I got the Leicas a while back, I all but abandoned the Pentax. Recently, though, I've been using the SLR more, because of its ability to use long focal length lenses and its easy metering and focus. Don't sell the Nikon; I love my Leicas, but I'm glad I kept my Pentax.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,325
    George,

    I don't disagree that Nikon fixed the F3 later in production. The problem was that Nikon released an inferior camera with the F3. The reliability problems with the camera were well known by photographers in the news business. Unfortunately, Nikon couldn't repair or make the early cameras work reliably. Instead of admitting an error and recalling the damn things, they offered us underpaid news photographers a new, improved version called the F3P for about three times the going price for the standard F3. The F3P was a strengthened, sealed model, only available through Nikon Professional Services. I used one on loan for a month or so and it was a great camera. But the whole affair left a bad taste in my mouth and I've never forgiven Nikon's attitude at the time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin