Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,943   Online: 1096

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So long Nikon F and hello, again, Leica M !!

Some time ago I parted with my M3 due to lack of use (Mistake #1) and since my Mamiya 7II is a little tough to use handheld in low light (my babies sleeping, playing, etc...) I picked up a Nikon F (Mistake #2) to keep 35 mm affordable --well was I ever dissappointed in the Nikon F compared to the Leica (Doh!!!) ---So I finally reinvested in an M2 this time with a 50 mm 1.4 Summilux-----Smooth smooth smooth--smoother than my M3--huh ! --I think I'll keep it and not look back and I love the feel of the M2 and yes the Leica is leaps and bounds over the Nikon but then I expected as much but NOT THAT MUCH !! I'll be selling the Nikon F on ebay I guess!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    35mm
    Congrats on your new/old purchase! I myself just bought an M6 titanium w/ 35mm f1.4. I can't wait to play with it!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Jos,

Is the Nikon worth enough to sell? For years I've carried 2 Ms and an F, the latter mainly for 200mm. This was of course the classic Vietnam war photographers' outfit. Once you try it, you can see why. There's not a lot you can't shoot.

Cheers,

R. (www.rogerandfrances.com -- where you might care to take a look at the free module in the Photo School called 'How many cameras do you need?')

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JosBurke
    Some time ago I parted with my M3 due to lack of use (Mistake #1) and since my Mamiya 7II is a little tough to use handheld in low light (my babies sleeping, playing, etc...) I picked up a Nikon F (Mistake #2) to keep 35 mm affordable --well was I ever dissappointed in the Nikon F compared to the Leica (Doh!!!) ---So I finally reinvested in an M2 this time with a 50 mm 1.4 Summilux-----Smooth smooth smooth--smoother than my M3--huh ! --I think I'll keep it and not look back and I love the feel of the M2 and yes the Leica is leaps and bounds over the Nikon but then I expected as much but NOT THAT MUCH !! I'll be selling the Nikon F on ebay I guess!
    I don't understand, you got rid of your M3 and then came to regret it. Now you want to get rid of your F.

I won't start a L v. N battle - but right now an F, even in great condition, goes for around $150, if that much. Unless you really need the cash, why not keep it - so you don't have any regrets later on?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As an owner of a DS M3 and two Nikon F's (one eyelevel prism and the other the FTn Meter head), I am going to say hold onto your Nikon F. There will be times when a rangefinder will not be practical.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hang onto the Nikon. I use Leicas and like the discreet size, the bright focusing, the quiet shutter, the excellent optics, etc. But an SLR is more flexible, can use (with direct viewing) ultra wide to ultra long lenses, has easy close focusing capability, etc.

Besides, you know if you sell the SLR you'll regret it and have to buy another sometime later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep the Nikon, I regret selling all my old Canon FD equipment. You never know when an SLR will be needed. Leicas are GREAT but some times you just need an SLR. Just my two cents.

Dave M
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.
    Carl Sandburg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F is a pretty cool camera, but it's one of the least usable of the Nikon SLRs.

The F2AS, now...

And don't get me started on the F3HP... I've fallen in love with mine. A totally indulgent purchase, and worth every nickel.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Nikon F has its pecularities, but I use mine more than my Leica M4 because of its versatility. The Leica got more use in past years in different circumstances. It is a smoother camera, but not nearly as good for macro and long lens photography. It's the difference between a quality automobile and a light truck. I like the comfort of my sedan, but sometimes need my pickup. Keep both cameras. Use whichever is best for each shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    The Nikon F has its pecularities, but I use mine more than my Leica M4 because of its versatility. The Leica got more use in past years in different circumstances. The Leica is a smoother camera, but not so good for macro and long lens photography. It's the difference between a quality automobile and a light truck. I like the comfort of my sedan, but sometimes need my pickup. Keep both cameras. Use whichever is best for each shot.
    Jim,

That is the reason that I have been using R series Leicas for 20 years. The only thing that I miss is the rangefinder capabilities, quietness, and lower hand holdable shutter speeds of an M camera, but I do have my Mamiya 7II.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin