Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,008   Online: 1187

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm curious about this too. I have never seen an Argus C3 leak. I have three of them.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had one with a similar problem once. It turned out not to be a leak, but an internal reflection. Look in the chamber between the lens and film for missing flakes of the flat black paint. It doesn't stick that well to the bakelite and little spots can flake off, leaving shiny little places that can drive you mad. If the door is closing snugly, you should not have any leaks. What you have just doesn't look like a leak to me. Leaks tend to flare in from the side.
    Also, be aware that these lenses can flare pretty badly, though that's not what it looks like, either. Good luck. Bricks are fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Doesn't look like that either. I'm going to take it out for yet another test run tomorrow and see if it was just something I did when developing the film. I DID open the back of the thing accidently and the door really isn't that tight...which is why I think it may either be a light leak or a weird effect from opening the door.

But I've accidently opened the back of other cameras before and usually only lose one or two frames. This seems odd.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    Hey, don't feel bad! Watch cinematographers take those beautiful, brand new Arriflex and Panavision motion picture cameras and slather their magazines on all seams with camera tape. They know what is important, the film and the images inside. Tape it up and be happy...
    That is really comforting information to know. Now I don't feel so sheepish when I tape up the magazine joint on my Kiev-80.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This time I DIDN'T open the back and I still got the same thing...so it's a light leak. I'll post the images on my blog from the first frame to the last so that maybe we can get an idea of why the heck it's happening...because I have some frames that are fine (Shaded) and other frames that were horrible (I was shooting in full sun).
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There aren't a lot of places an Argus can leak light, unless there is an actual hole somewhere. Try removing the lens and shining a light through an open shutter in a dark room. Then open the back and see if the shutter itself is leaking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shutter is light tight. I'm thinking that it's leaking light from where the viewfinder and rangefinder windows are...but I don't know. I'll test that theory as soon as I can get some material for seals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given the incredibly long market life of these C3s, I suppose there may be internal changes along the way, but . . .

I have one I bought new around the end of 1957 (which just successfully worked for Argust 6th) and I just got it out to take a look. All of the following think-out-loud comments are based on my one sole example:

a) There are NO light seals in mine. It has molded-in ribs and shapes that create a sort of labyrinth seal around the back.

b) The hinge end is behind the film cassette, so I doubt that would be it, but are all the screws in the hinge?

c) The viewfinder and rangefinder stuff appear totally isolated from the film chamber.

d) I think (applied optics here) the spot is toward the lower left of the exposed frame as viewed from the rear of the camera.

e) So I tried to assume the spotting might be occurring on the previous or next frame, not the one actually lined up for the exposure.

f) If the frame is being hit prior to the exposure position, the light would have to hit between the right side of the masking frame (viewed from rear) and the sprocket shaft, a little below center. In the body, I only see one little plugged hole that's even a candidate, and it would be covered by the front plate. The other possibility would be the rivet that holds the pressure plate to the back at that area -- is it intact and tight? (Even that normally has the leatherette covering over the outside.) You might skip exposing a frame or two either side of a properly exposed frame, winding quickly through the unused frames (or in the dark). That might check for shutter leaks vs off-frame. Ideally, don't wind to, or take an exposure on, the last frame. If light is hitting next to the cassette, the last frame will have the spot anyway. If not, that end is clean.

g) I really want to suspect something over near the catch end, but approximating where your spot would sit once the film is wound to the next frame, I think it would be past the latch section. I do note however, there are two rivets that hold the catch onto the body -- if the lower one of those were corroded away, that could be a candidate. There are three or four plugged holes toward the front of that film chamber, but again, all of those are covered by the front plate. (And possibly if whatever is in them falls out, the shutter stops working!)

h) My other reservation about the take-up spool side is that the diameter would grow as you work your way through the roll and I would expect the spot to slowly move a bit laterally with each frame. From your three shots, that might be happening but two look pretty similar.

Well, good luck -- that ends my forensic engineering for the night!

DaveT
    Last edited by DWThomas; 08-30-2006 at 11:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I'll keep spelling lab*rinth until I get it right . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have ten frames from the beginning of the roll to where I stopped shooting that I've developed and scanned. I'll be able to show you what the leak looks like from beginning to end. It's weird...very, very weird.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay: http://mentalexperimental.org/?p=30

Posted in the order I took them on the roll. Not great photos, but I wasn't really worried about that. I think I'm going to have to tape the thing up so much no one is going to recognize it as a camera.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin