Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,204   Online: 1054

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Zeiss 50/2.0 Planar T* ZM lens

Does anyone have experience of this lens? I have a 50 mm F1.5 Nokton on my Voigtänder T, I find it a little too flare-prone, and I am currently bidding on a 1970s Summicron. I thought if I didn't win this, I might try a Color-Skopar, but then I thought of the Zeiss M lenses. One thing I don't want is the latest model Summicron, I had one a few years ago and found it just too contrasty. Is the Zeiss lens also contrasty? I had experience years ago of a 1950s Summicron and found the contrast of this too low, so would like to try and find a lens which is mid-way between Summicrons Mark I and III. It needs to be about the same contrast as the 28 mm Ultron which I also have

All advice gratefully received!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you read what Erwin Puts has posted to his web site? He has quite a bit to say about quite a few lens that have a Leica M mount. One of those lenses is the 50mm 2.0 Planar. I am inclined to think that it is not what you are seeking. Going to imx.nl and reading what has been posted can be worthwhile.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seems like you want contradictory things. Flare-prone lenses are generally low contrast, and high-contrast lenses generally have good resistance to flare. Since Zeiss is famous for its coatings, I would bet the Planar is very high contrast (even though it's actually made by Cosina). An old Summicron is probably not high-contrast.

Shooter
    35mm
    Go to the leica web page. Click on camers, M system, then lenses. They have on line a good deal of writing by E Puts. It includes some Leica lenses that are out of production.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psvensson
    Seems like you want contradictory things. Flare-prone lenses are generally low contrast, and high-contrast lenses generally have good resistance to flare. Since Zeiss is famous for its coatings, I would bet the Planar is very high contrast (even though it's actually made by Cosina). An old Summicron is probably not high-contrast.
    You might think that efficient coating goes hand-in-hand with low flare, in my experience this is true for generalized flare but not for individual flare spots. The reference to Erwin Puts was interesting, he comments:
    "It [the 50 mm Zeiss Planar] shares with that lens [50 mm Summicron] the weak suppression of secondary reflections, due to the reflections at the edges of the rear mount."

A while back I was doing a long series of pictures of backlit water with strong sun and at various times tried a new 50 mm Summicron, a new Nikon 50 mm f1.8 AIS and a Pentax 43 mm f1.9. The Leica lens had noticeably higher contrast than the Nikon lens, both had a tendency to flare spots, the Pentax was far better, even though it has what I would call normal contrast, not ultra-high, which is why I kept it and sold the others. I still have it and also a Nikon 50 mm f1.4, which seems much better. Among my medium- and large-format lenses, the ones with the lowest flare seem to be 4-element single-coated examples, although generally flare is much less of a problem with these than with 35 mm lenses. What I am looking for now is a lens like the Pentax in Leica M mount!

Thanks to all for responses!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentax did release the 43mm lens in LTM. If you could track down one of those and a screw mount to M adaptor, you'd be in business!

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin