Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,131   Online: 1142

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Mamiya Press range - superb lenses, interchangeable backs, a useable rangefinder, and some back movement.
    Peace and Love, Jenni

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by gchpaco View Post
    The one I'm the most happy with is the big, old, interchangable lens Fujis. I have a GM670 and a GL690 and three lenses for the both of them. They're big and heavy and wonderful.
    100% agree. These are straightforward rollfilm rangefinder cameras with good film flatness, sharp lenses from 50mm to 180mm and the biggest negative in the business.

Cheers,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCaulay View Post
    Another vote for the Mamiya Press range - superb lenses, interchangeable backs, a useable rangefinder, and some back movement.
    [SIZE="3"]Only the Mamiya Super 23 offered back movements -- and generally the Super's sell for a premium. Much more cost effective is the Mamiya Universal Press (although truth be told, complete systems sometimes can be quite expensive too)

One last thing, while I agree that the Mamiya Universal Press is a great system camera, I would caution you about taking walks with it -- it is a fairly heavy camera, built to withstand professional use. You might want to consider it more of a "backpack" camera (especially if you bring along a few lenses)

But if what you want is an inexpensive, well-built, relatively modern camera with plenty of choices in the lens and accessory department, then you would be hard pressed to find a better buy today.[/SIZE]
    J Michael Sullivan
    Editor/Publisher, MAGNAchrom
    www.magnachrom.com

...SOMETIMES I SEE THINGS...

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    i have and use a mamiya 6 - it isn't the newer one with interchangable lenses, but on of the olde post war stationary / fixed front lens cameras. it is a 6x6 and has a 75mm f3.5 lens. small enough to fold and go anywhere. it has a unique focusing mechanism where the film plane moves back and forth instead of the lens.

i too have experierenced jurgen kreckel. while i didn't buy my camera from him, mind had a problem and he was able to make a "work around" solution for me. nice guy and very good work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget the Iskra's. Both the Iskra 1 and 2 offer a unit focus lens and very good glass (reputed to be from Zeiss materials). Built like tanks and many used like hammers, they overcome the stigma of "c$%@" cameras from the FSU.
    Last edited by Iskra 2; 07-03-2007 at 08:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=MAGNAchrom;367114][SIZE="3"]Only the Mamiya Super 23 offered back movements -- and generally the Super's sell for a premium. Much more cost effective is the Mamiya Universal Press (although truth be told, complete systems sometimes can be quite expensive too)

As a long time Mamiya Universal user (25 years) I really like a rangefinder, but yes it will be expensive to collect a complete system, the 250 mm lens is very rare, finding the viewfinders for the wide angle lens can be a challenge. I have seen a lot of backs on auction sites, along with the ground glass back and few lens, but over the past couple of years it seems to my subjective experiance that the number of classic Mamiya lens and backs is dwindling. At least in my market finding a repair tech is diffcult, last time I needed my 150 lens adjusted I had to send it to a camera repair company out of state.

If you want a MF camera camera or system that you intend to use a lot, I would give some thought to a newer model, if you are like me a weekend user then a classic model may work well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are numerous Super Ikonta models out there in 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x9 format. Build quality is generally excellent, minimum focus is a bit of a liability.

Here's a Super Ikonta IV (6x6) that a friend recently overhauled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finished2.jpg  
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    hi again

if you find a mamiya 6 ( the older ones with a fixed lens ) don't buy it unless
    you have a second one for parts.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by f/stopblues View Post
    Don't forget the oh-so-sexy Plaubel Makina 67! I've lusted after it on and off for a while now. Unfortunately they run pretty high in the price department. It's an interesting camera in any case.
    I used to lust after the Plaubel Makina 67 until I tried lugging one around my neck all day. It's about 2-3 times heavier than the Fuji 6X7 rangefinder, and not nearly as reliable mechanically. For my money, the Fuji is a much better deal.

Larry

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't mind the weight and want interchangeable lenses, the Horseman 970/980 series are very versatile and capable. Lucking into one was what got me started on the road to LF.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin