Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,038   Online: 788

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Medium format rangefinder models and specs

Now that medium format rangefinders have their own sub-forum, I would like to know which cameras are included. I know that Mamiya, Fuji, Bronica, and possibly others make/made medium format rangefinders but I am totally unfamiliar with the different models and their specifications. If those of you who are familiar with these cameras would share that information, I would be very grateful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Info on the Bronica RF645 here:

http://shutterflower.com/RF645%20review.htm

Nice camera - I have it and 3 lenses (54, 65, 100).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any medium format rangefinder: the Bronicas, the Fujis, the Mamiyas, and also the medium format folding rangefinders.

If you want to get started for relatively small amounts of money, I'd suggest a folding rangefinder: either a Super Ikonta, Super Isolette, or Russian copy. Moskva 4/5 cameras are rather good for their price. The prices of the Super Ikontas seem to be going down as well.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget the oh-so-sexy Plaubel Makina 67! I've lusted after it on and off for a while now. Unfortunately they run pretty high in the price department. It's an interesting camera in any case.
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding

I was interested in getting one of these - until I saw the prices they were selling for.

The highest I have seen was for an RF645 with 45, 65 and 135mm lenses with the factory calibration for the 135 at a buy it now price of £2600 (about $5000).

I would really like to get something with either a 6x4.5 or 6 x7 negative size with a wide angle lens (about 65mm) but I don't really have the cash for it right now.

Does anyone know if any of the old 6x9 or 6x4.5 folding cameras were made with wider than standard lenses? A wide angle version of my Zeiss Nettar would suit me fine.

I think I will have to save up or make it myself!

Steve.

EDIT Thanks for posting that link (I think!). It's made me even more certain that this is exactly what I want!
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was really lucky - my new RF645 with 65mm lens only set me back $550. But that's because I caught the very end of the Tamron $450 rebate. But keep your eye out and you cound find one for $600 - 700. The super expensive kit you saw included the 135mm lens. Only about 100 were sold because they required individual calibration of the rangefinder, so Bronica came out with a 100mm lens in its place.

If you go the folder route, the seller Certo6 on eB*y has an excellent reputation.

http://www.certo6.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Mamiya Press Universal would be good if you were not sure what mid-format size(s) you would want to shoot. The one I've auctioned off for about 150 USD comes with a 100mm F3.5 lens and a multi film folder, which handles 6x4.5, 6x6, and 6x9. For this camera, there are a few wide angle lenses available.

My enlarger can handle up to 6x9, and that's the reason I've got this one. Otherwise I would stick to my favorite format, 35mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    My enlarger can handle up to 6x9, and that's the reason I've got this one. Otherwise I would stick to my favorite format, 35mm.

The fact that my enlarger goes up to 6x7 is what originally got me thinking about the Fuji GW670 which looks nice but has a standard 90mm lens. I want something a bit wider.
    This then got me thinking about what I would like to take with me on walks. I have a Bronica ETRS with a 50mm lens which is good but it is a bit bulky. I also have a small Nikon FG which is ideal with a 28-70mm lens but is obviously 35mm. I also sometimes take my Rolleicord which is also good for this but is fixed at a 75mmm focal length. After a bit more investigation I found the Fuji GS645W with the 60mm lens and the Bronica RF645 which usually has a 65mm lens as standard. Despite these not fitting my original requirement of a 6x7 negative, I liked the look of them for a light and small (relatively) camera to carry around. My 6x4.5 negatives from the ETRS are fine so I should be happy if I stay with this size.

I think I will start saving whilst looking for a bargain!

In the meantime, if I can find a 50-75mm lens and shutter in some kind of focussing mount, I might make something myself using an old 6x9 folder body.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Don't forget the folders.

Before shelling out for the usual suspects, you really should consider a 6x6 or 6x9 folding camera. Voigtlander, Zeiss-Ikon, Agfa, Balda and a number of other German companies made some really excellent folding MF cameras in the 1950s. Go to www.certo6.com for an education about the various makers and models. The site owner, Jurgen Krekel, restores and sells the cameras for ridiculously low prices. I've bought a Balda Super Baldax (6x6) and an Agfa Record III (6x9) from him and have been thrilled with both cameras -- both arrived as good as new, for only $200 apiece. Visit my page at www.mcnew.net/6x6 for a sampling of photos taken with the Balda (except the naked pinball shot, which came from a Rolleiflex). Sanders

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding

Excellent camera Robert I have it also and the same three lenses....I think you intended to say you have 45 mm and 65 mm and 100 mm....I have not seen the 135 mm lens but would be interested in it....also in the future I will probably get another body . These lenses are outstanding and the camera in the most comfortable I own....I do like the vertical orientation...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin