Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,817   Online: 709

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds good to me. The only main reason I thought we should break up RF forums was because these cameras have such strong ties to usage & collecting. I have a few rangefinders myself and there is something unique about them that is different from other equipment. Maybe that's just me? We still need to refine the categories and will definitely moderate out any brand vs. brand silly arguments that flare up -for example if someone does not like Leica they should not be hassling people in the Leica subforum etc.. Also don't reserve judgement on subforums until you see the new version, it organizes subforums MUCH better than this current system..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think I'll wait to give you the final list I've come up with until we go to the new system. In the mean time, I'm going to spend some time shooting.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy! All that the new arrangement has done has been to increase the time it takes to find new posts. IMO the old way was better.
    On the other hand, anything we can do to improve research would be good. If one wanted to check the archives for " Crown Graphic", for instance, it would be essential to have tighter resolution than "LF" to tease it away from a million other posts.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    Anyone else think that some sort of "cheapie rangefinder" for Yashicas, fixed lens Canons, Minoltas, etc. would be a good idea? Certainly that is more what I am interested in.
    "Fixed Lens 35mm " ????

That would incorporate most of the breed,
    without weeding out those with RFDRs
    from those without.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Also, "X vs Leica" threads I moved into the "X" category, since the Leica categories will probably be pretty large, and there seem to be many such threads.

I'm inclined just to delete any thread that has "vs." in it in any category anywhere on APUG, but I won't do that.
    LObloodyL

Do: You have my blessing.

ALSO " Please publish examples which illustrate the difference between Nikon and Canon lenses".

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still think we need genre/aesthetics/technique forums (like portrait, still life, landscape, figure, etc.)....

David,

I think your idea is good. Maybe we can find a different word:

"Genre" has a specific definition in Art History which probably isn't what we want to be dealing with here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchy_of_genres

It also has a negative connotation, from Pictorialism, which would be nice to avoid.

don

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, I'm aware of the baggage associated with "genre" (I worry about that baggage for a living, in fact), but I haven't come up with a better term for it in this context. We could call them "aesthetics and technique" forums--the main idea being that they would be forums for particular photographic problems, with more emphasis on the technique than the gear. Not that the gear is irrelevant, but sometimes it's not the main issue.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Different Kinds of Pictures" ?

Yeah, I see the problem...

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    The Voigtlander forum seems to be quite active.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... but before we create a list of brand forums for each format, it would probably be a good idea to see how they work in the Rangefinder forums for at least six months or a year.
    I might not be normal, but the brand forums have caused me to ignore the Rangefinder forums altogether. It takes too much work (clicking) to get around. Although I have more interest in certain brands than others, it isn't working for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin