Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,086   Online: 935

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bessa-T

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Actually, you can use a 50/1.2 on a Leica IIIa -- there's a picture of exactly that set-up on page 57 of Rangefinder, Hicks/Schultz, GMC 2003 -- and you can even just abiut focus with the rangefinder, but you'd better have the flange set up well before you do; you'd better hope the RF is accurate; and you'd better not knock the camera, as the shutter crate ain't all that strong.
    As the Zorkis, FEDs etc were all based on pre war Leica design and shutters all the problems with fast lenses on the Leica II and III were transferred on to the Russians. The Kiev was a German camera built by Ukranians... that is not to say they couldn't make good cameras - the Kiev 60 sorted the Exacta 66/Pentacon 6's winding problems pretty well and with a bit of care & attention the Kievs all make fine cameras.

Lachlan
    "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous...got me?" Captain Beefheart

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    As the Zorkis, FEDs etc were all based on pre war Leica design and shutters all the problems with fast lenses on the Leica II and III were transferred on to the Russians.
    Not really. I mean, the IIIc and later Leicas were 'based on' the pre-war Leica design too, but used a die-cast chassis, as did many later Feds and Zorkiis, al least as far as I recall; it's been a while since I had one apart. I imagine that the earlier ones were fabricated, like an old Leicas, but I've not been inside one.

It's the die-casting that makes the difference in strength -- the very thin brass shutter crate of a pre-IIIc Leica really was pretty flimsy -- and of course the register is unaffected by the choice of materials and construction. It's just that the chance of keeping it is a lot better with the die-cast design.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    the Kiev 60 sorted the Exacta 66/Pentacon 6's winding problems pretty well and with a bit of care & attention the Kievs all make fine cameras.Lachlan
    Again, this is not my understanding. I am told (I have not had them apart) that the Kiev and Pentacon are substantially different designs which merely share the same lens mount (which is sensible) and overall appearance (which is more or less inevitable).

Perhaps someone who has been inside both can throw further light on this.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a question to Bessa T users: How close can you comfortably and practically focus with the finder of this camera when you have a 35mm or 28mm lens attach to it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    I have a question to Bessa T users: How close can you comfortably and practically focus with the finder of this camera when you have a 35mm or 28mm lens attach to it?
    The factor is entirely the focusing range of the lens. My 28 mm f1.9 Ultron focuses to 0.7 m. The parallax correction mark in the supplementary viewfinder I assume indicates the top of the field of view at 1 meter, obviously a mental adjustment will be required at closer distances. Like any other good rangefinder, a Bessa will be much more positive focusing wide-angle lenses than an SLR would be, particularly in bad light.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    Few if any auxiliary finders give much indication at closer than 1 metre/40 inches. One of my favourite finders is a Tewe 35-200 zoom which not only has a carefully graded close-focus adjustment (from memory, infinity, 3m, 2m, 1m) but also has two index marks for setting the zoom to allow for the difference in angular coverage at infinity and one metre. I don't know of any 28mm finder that does this.

It has just occurred to me that you may mean 'how close does it couple'? Bessas couple to 80cm/31.5 inches; Zeiss Ikons to 70cm, 28 inches; and my Leica MP to maybe 65cm, a little better than 26 inches. Lenses may (or may not) focus closer than these limits but the last bit of close-up range is without coupling. I can't double-check this because Frances is next door and I can't find her Bessa-T but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would like to associate myself with the remarks of the previous speaker! Bessa T rangefinder does indeed quit at 80 cm, for the last perilous 10 cm of the focusing range of the Voigtländer 28 mm, you're on your own!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm
    It has just occurred to me that you may mean 'how close does it couple'? Bessas couple to 80cm/31.5 inches; Zeiss Ikons to 70cm, 28 inches; and my Leica MP to maybe 65cm, a little better than 26 inches. Lenses may (or may not) focus closer than these limits but the last bit of close-up range is without coupling. I can't double-check this because Frances is next door and I can't find her Bessa-T but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Cheers,

R.
    Yes, that's sort of what I meant, but the "coupling" doesn't necessarily mean "comfortable" and "practical" with wide angle lenses, which are wide enough to cover some range, I hope!

I've read the specs on the T and it says something like 90cm at the closest for the coupling, but I wonder how different it exactly feels compared to other cameras such as Leicas. 90cm seems to be a bit critical distance shooting indoors (dimmed light) with a 35mm at wide-open (at F2 or F2.8). Has anyone experience any difficulty with this lmit or (often) missed the shots because of that?

I have M3 and been debating on a 35mm lens for it. A 35mm F2.8 Sumaron(?) lens with a google is a perfect candidate since it enables me to focus as close as 65cm. But such a lens costs easily over 500 USD, I believe, so maybe a used Bessa T with a 35mm lens and a viewfinder will be almost equally as a choice, too if the coupling issue isn't really a problem.

I know I won't know exactly it unless I use it, but just to hear some opinions on it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    I would like to associate myself with the remarks of the previous speaker! Bessa T rangefinder does indeed quit at 80 cm, for the last perilous 10 cm of the focusing range of the Voigtländer 28 mm, you're on your own!

Regards,

David
    If it's 80cm, sounds better and give me more relief.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Again, this is not my understanding. I am told (I have not had them apart) that the Kiev and Pentacon are substantially different designs which merely share the same lens mount (which is sensible) and overall appearance (which is more or less inevitable).

Perhaps someone who has been inside both can throw further light on this.

Cheers,

Roger
    I own Kiev 60s and Pentacon 6TLs and I have had them apart. I agree that The Kiev and Pentacon are substantially different designs which merely share the same lens mount.

If you are lucky enough to get a Kiev 60 that was made with on a good day at Arsenal/ARSAT with good internal parts/materials and good quality control, you may have a good camera - otherwise????
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin