Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,682   Online: 849

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bessa R3a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    R3M Special Kit (with Heliar 50mm f2 collapsible) in Piano Black,
    + 90mm Apo Lanthar (black),
    + screw to M adapter,
    + side grip,
    + Kenko rangefinder polariser kit,
    + camera case,

ordered last week. Should arrive tomorrow morning.
    Time to revive an old thread... You've had almost a year to "play" with it... What's it like?

Let me start at the beginning. I bought this month's B&W Photography, and it looks like this issue could become quite an expensive one for me: the review of the R3M by Roger and Frances really makes me want to go out and buy one :o . (Well, "stay at home and order one on the Internet", rather.)

Problem is, I can and have read a lot about it on the internet, but there's nothing like trying it yourself. Still, I wouldn't know any shop in my country that has one "just to feel and try it". So, second best: any comments from real users on APUG... would be most welcome!

As I see it now, I would choose the R3M -> M over A anytime, no doubt about it. R3 sounds nicer than the R2 or R4 because of the 1:1 viewfinder. R4 with the wide angle possibilities sounds nice, but then again: I think I would sooner buy a 90mm than a 40, 35, 28 or less. And the price of the 250 y set is... well... not cheap, but a rather good price for a new & complete "starter kit".

Any thoughts are welcome.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ended up selling my R3M because I just could not get used to the tiny RF patch in the viewfinder. It seemed very picky about how I lined my eye up, and was very hard to see sometimes. I was thrilled with every other aspect of the camera though, but could not get the focusing to feel right. I don't know if others have the same problem or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller View Post
    I ended up selling my R3M because I just could not get used to the tiny RF patch in the viewfinder. It seemed very picky about how I lined my eye up, and was very hard to see sometimes. I was thrilled with every other aspect of the camera though, but could not get the focusing to feel right. I don't know if others have the same problem or not.
    Thanks for your reaction. I'll take that as a "largely positive", although the issue you had is really an important one. But perhaps a personal one as well. FWIW, I don't wear glasses (I read about the 40mm line being less visible for people with glasses).

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I had to send mine back when it arrived. The framelines were out of alignment with the camera resulting in tilted horizons in every shot. But thanks to sterling service from Robert White all was sorted and I now have a perfect R3M.
    Personally I like it. The RF patch looks ok to me and is no different in size to the patch in my Zorki.
    The collapsible Heliar is a lovely lens as is the Apo Lanthar 90mm. The only fault I can find is with the Apo Lanthar. The black paint is really cheap and mine is already showing brass.

Oh, one other thing, the lenses are not marked for Infrared, so you have to guess at focus.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    With the Ms, just like the M6 you may occationally loose a "magic moment" in the street while you fumble with changing the exposure.
    Current setup is R2A/35mm, R3A/50mm and R4A/21mm. All set on aperture priority. Batteries seem to last "forever". Have not changed any of them yet.
    Extremely nice cameras. Automatic exposure is very good.
    Use them "manually" like RxMs sometimes when I feel like it. Best of both worlds.
    Guess choosing M or A this is a pure question of personal preference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by f/1,4 View Post
    Yes and no. I chose the R3M over the R3A because I wanted a camera that was not battery dependent.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Well, I had to send mine back when it arrived. The framelines were out of alignment with the camera resulting in tilted horizons in every shot. But thanks to sterling service from Robert White all was sorted and I now have a perfect R3M.
    I seem to recall reading about this in another thread or even on another site(??). Well... then I just hope that other R3Ms in stock at Robert White are OK now .

Personally I like it. The RF patch looks ok to me and is no different in size to the patch in my Zorki.
    The collapsible Heliar is a lovely lens as is the Apo Lanthar 90mm. The only fault I can find is with the Apo Lanthar. The black paint is really cheap and mine is already showing brass.

Oh, one other thing, the lenses are not marked for Infrared, so you have to guess at focus.
    I would just start with the 50mm Heliar and take it from there. Not marked for infrared? Thanks for pointing that out, but it's not a big issue: I'll just shoot infrared with another camera .
    Last edited by kraker; 05-11-2007 at 04:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

shuttr.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by f/1,4 View Post
    With the Ms, just like the M6 you may occationally loose a "magic moment" in the street while you fumble with changing the exposure.
    Current setup is R2A/35mm, R3A/50mm and R4A/21mm. All set on aperture priority. Batteries seem to last "forever". Have not changed any of them yet.
    Extremely nice cameras. Automatic exposure is very good.
    Use them "manually" like RxMs sometimes when I feel like it. Best of both worlds.
    Well, I thought I'd already chosen, but you make me think...

Two questions come to mind:

- When using an RxA in M-mode, do they still require batteries for the shutter? If they don't, then I don't see a reason for an M-model.

- Looking at the various photos and going through the various descriptions of "M" versus "A", it seems to me that the "A" has a lock on the shutter release button, whereas the "M" doesn't. Is that just me interpreting the product photos incorrectly? I mean, it sounds like a good feature for any model...

shuttr.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The A models have an electronic shutter. The M models do not.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The A models have a lock on the shutter release.
    Nice feature since it prevents the battery from running out if you carry the camera in a tight bag with winder advanced so that a partly depressed release knob will leave the exopsure meter on all the time.
    (This happened to me quite a few times with the M6. After travelling the battery would be dead. The only way to avoid it was to sacrifice a frame on the film by pressing the shutter button if you had operated the winder without finding a picture to shoot before putting the vamera back in the bag.)
    To have the utmost "readiness" I carry the RxAs with the winder anvanced so that to shoot I just have to lift the camera to the eye and open the lock on its way up to the eye.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin