Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,628   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Sharpness and Bessa R/Nokton shots

If you look at the galleries at www.rogerandfrances.com, there is a new gallery of pictures of the Barge Museum at Faversham in the UK. These were all taken with a 50/1.5 Nokton with a weak (2x) B+W yellow filter; the hand-held camera was a Bessa-R. The film was Paterson Acupan 200, rebranded Fomapan 200, developed in Paterson developer and printed on Ilford Multigrade Warmtone.

Obviously you can't tell it from a screen image 550 pixels high, but the sharpness is remarkable: in most of the original prints you can easily distinguish the strands (not the fibres!) of the ropes in the rigging.

I post this principally to point out that RF cameras can perfectly well be used in good light -- they are not just low-light cameras -- and that sharpness is more than adequate with almost any good-quality lens when they are; the exposures were typically 1/250 at f/5.6 and f/8. This is generous, and gives slightly less sharpness than if I had cut exposure to the bone, but I much prefer the tonality -- another argument that sharpness isn't everything.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting museum, what happened to the water, couldn't they afford any?

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan
    Interesting museum, what happened to the water, couldn't they afford any?

Mick.
    Dear Mick,

I believe it's like an outback river; water is optional. I've never seen it with water in (I've been there three or four times), but I imagine there must be some at high tide, because it would be a bugger pulling those things through the mud.

On the bright side, you'd expect mud like that to stink, and it doesn't, presumably because it's washed off occasionally.

Actually, as far as I am aware, they can't afford ANYTHING. As far as I am aware, they only get the barges because they're free. Anyone who is passing Faversham is urged to put a pound in the poor-box for them. As I recall, they don't even charge for admission to the outside part of the site, only to the indoor part of the museum.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    water is optional. I've never seen it with water in (I've been there three or four times), but I imagine there must be some at high tide, because it would be a bugger pulling those things through the mud.

I have a picture of an old Isle of Wight paddle steamer here: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...0&ppuser=12229
    Of which DrewB commented that it was funny that I had to stand in water to take a picture of a boat on land. In fact, it is on a tidal part of the river (Medina).

What is the state of the boats at the museum? Are they used at all? Being repaired? Or just collected? They don't look in too bad condition.

The paddle steamer (PS Ryde) is now basically a 'string vest' of rusty metal held together with fresh air and in no way (other than a total re-build) could it be preserved. Despite that, there are several people who still think it possible and are campaigning to save it.

About a week after I took the pictures in my gallery, The funnel fell over taking part of the deck and two air vents with it. They are now resting at a 45 degree angle. I will go back soon for another picture.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Steve,

Hard to tell. I think some restoration is being done but as there is virtually zero budget, it's not a lot. As far as I can see, they're not in use, but equally, they are in a lot better condition than the ferry you describe.

Cheers,

Roger

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I post this principally to point out that RF cameras can perfectly well be used in good light -- they are not just low-light cameras -- and that sharpness is more than adequate with almost any good-quality lens when they are; the exposures were typically 1/250 at f/5.6 and f/8. This is generous, and gives slightly less sharpness than if I had cut exposure to the bone, but I much prefer the tonality -- another argument that sharpness isn't everything.

Cheers,

Roger
    Of course you can use RFs in good light, but some of the appeal is that you can use them, and often nothing else, in bad.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Of course you can use RFs in good light, but some of the appeal is that you can use them, and often nothing else, in bad.
    No question. But there seem to be some who think that the latter is the only way you are allowed to use them. For example, unless I misunderstood him, Bruce Terry said you always get camera shake if the camera's being used right (see 'Which is sharper?')

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you look at the galleries at www.rogerandfrances.com, there is a new gallery of pictures of the Barge Museum at Faversham in the UK.
    the Barge museum was in Sittingbourne, Roger - Favvies wont thank you for muddling them up!

http://www.thamesbarge.org.uk/barges...lphinyard.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    the Barge museum was in Sittingbourne, Roger - Favvies wont thank you for muddling them up!

http://www.thamesbarge.org.uk/barges...lphinyard.html
    Dear Leon,

Oh, bugger, you're right. I tend to confuse the two. A big sorry to all concerned. Thanks for correcting the error.

Then again, I didn't know it had closed (in October 2005, apparently). Sad, but no suprise: funding was clearly a problem. I wish them well in finding a new location.

Cheers,

Roger

Dear Leon,

Oh, bugger, you're right. I tend to confuse the two. A big sorry to all concerned. Thanks for correcting the error.

Then again, I didn't know it had closed (in October 2005, apparently). Sad, but no suprise: funding was clearly a problem. I wish them well in finding a new location.

Cheers,

Roger
    Faversham was one of the dwelling places of my Culpeper ancestors. Many are buried in Faversham church. Interesting to see the name crop up other than in family records.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin