Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,858   Online: 939
      
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51
  1. #1
    Stephanie Brim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,607
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    21

    Darn people...making me want things...

    On RFF, right at this moment, there is a thread about the CV 75/2.5 Color-Heliar. This lens appears to be a solid performer. I also think it would be a good compliment to my J-12. Of course, this means that any M camera that I buy should have 75mm framelines...which gives me two options even remotely in the pricerange I was hoping for: an M4-P or an M6. This really blows, however, because I could have gotten away much cheaper with an M2.

    Or, of course, I could do the even cheaper thing and just buy the lens for use on my Canon P and either guess the framing or buy an accessory finder. If I do this, I may as well replace my Russian glass with CV glass and just spend the $1000 I had planned early next year on a 35mm Ultron, 50mm Nokton, and the 75mm Heliar.

    Just thought I'd rant a bit. You're welcome to make me want it more or less.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    3,242
    This is a case ..a rare one..of a woman not knowing her own mind. She does not really want this stuff at all.

    She just thinks she does.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

  3. #3
    Stephanie Brim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,607
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    21
    Continue, Claire...perhaps you're on to something.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    This is a case ...
    Maybe FrankG will give you a hand in explaining a bit further, Claire. He not only knows how people think/act, but he's quite well read (and opinionated) on camera equipment.

  5. #5
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    I thought the CV 75mm Color Heliar was a Leica screw mount?

    (I am in the process of buying the Bessa R3M Special anniversary kit with Heliar F2 collapsible 50mm, so have been investigating lens options, so far an Apo Lanthar 90mm is on the cards).


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

  6. #6
    desertrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    186
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw
    Maybe FrankG will give you a hand in explaining a bit further, Claire. He not only knows how people think/act, but he's quite well read (and opinionated) on camera equipment.
    I guess I could play the role of Frank's evil alter ego. Stephanie, you already have a couple of Russian lenses. The Jupiter-9 is only a little longer than the Heliar, and think of the money you could save. Even after you buy the KMZ turret finder, you have still saved a lot of money. Of course, the Jupiter you get could be stiff focusing or not properly adjusted for infinity, but Oleg Khalyavin can easily fix that and you've still saved a lot of money. I humbly admit that a J-9 cannot match the performance of a Heliar, especially under difficult lighting conditions. But under more favorable conditions, a good one can do pretty well. For instance, I had been led to believe that J-9s are very soft wide open. Dante Stella has an inset of a 30x enlargement from an image taken with this lens wide open.

    http://www.dantestella.com/technical/compat.html

    Looks pretty impressive to me, but I must admit I've never seen a similar enlargement taken with a modern lens for comparison. The J-9 and turret finder might look right at home on your Canon. 'Course, not everyone likes the looks of these things.

    Just playing Devil's Advocate,
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

  7. #7
    Stephanie Brim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,607
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I thought the CV 75mm Color Heliar was a Leica screw mount?

    (I am in the process of buying the Bessa R3M Special anniversary kit with Heliar F2 collapsible 50mm, so have been investigating lens options, so far an Apo Lanthar 90mm is on the cards).
    It is a screwmount. Adapters are available (from Gandy, actually), so there are no problems.

    I actually emailed him about a lens that I may go for if I can sell a few other things and get the cash to put behind it otherwise...

    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat
    I guess I could play the role of Frank's evil alter ego. Stephanie, you already have a couple of Russian lenses. The Jupiter-9 is only a little longer than the Heliar, and think of the money you could save. Even after you buy the KMZ turret finder, you have still saved a lot of money. Of course, the Jupiter you get could be stiff focusing or not properly adjusted for infinity, but Oleg Khalyavin can easily fix that and you've still saved a lot of money. I humbly admit that a J-9 cannot match the performance of a Heliar, especially under difficult lighting conditions. But under more favorable conditions, a good one can do pretty well. For instance, I had been led to believe that J-9s are very soft wide open. Dante Stella has an inset of a 30x enlargement from an image taken with this lens wide open.

    http://www.dantestella.com/technical/compat.html

    Looks pretty impressive to me, but I must admit I've never seen a similar enlargement taken with a modern lens for comparison. The J-9 and turret finder might look right at home on your Canon. 'Course, not everyone likes the looks of these things.

    Just playing Devil's Advocate,
    But anyway, about the J-9. I love it. I really do. But sometimes it seems a bit too long. I'd still keep it even if I got the 75mm, but I may end up selling it later if I find that the 75mm fits my needs better. It isn't a matter of the lens being bad, but more that I find myself wanting something just a tad wider. And thanks for playing Devil's Advocate.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    I would think threre would be more benefit from getting a 90mm lens on a RF than a 75mm if you were getting a 50mm in your kit. You can grab an old Leica/Leitz lens (90mm F4) for about a couple of hundered USD, which is what I've been in search for a little while.

  9. #9
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    I would think threre would be more benefit from getting a 90mm lens on a RF than a 75mm if you were getting a 50mm in your kit. You can grab an old Leica/Leitz lens (90mm F4) for about a couple of hundered USD, which is what I've been in search for a little while.
    That was my thinking too.
    When I go for a wider lens it will most likely be a [size=2]28/1.9 Aspherical Ultron because I think 40mm and 35mm are too close to 50mm to warrant the extra expense.
    [/size]


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

  10. #10
    Ole
    Ole is offline
    Ole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    9,281
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    31
    I think I paid about $60 for a 90mm Elmar, and about half that for a 135mm Hektor. Along with a selection of Russian 50mm's and a 58mm, and a CV 21mm Color-Skopar, I'm fairly well set for lenses. That doesn't mean that I don't want a 75mm Color-Heliar, and a 90mm Apo-Lanthar, and - and - and...

    But I realise I can do without. At least for a while. Maybe until I run out of new LF focal lengths, which come to think of it has already happened...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin