Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Calling true Leica experts!

Was amused to find this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Leica-...QQcmdZViewItem

The body number indicates a Leica II model of approx. 1941. The gaudy refinishing is of course not original, the stamping "Monté en Sarre" as far as I know relates only to post-war IIIa models, BUT - I can't decide if, under all the ghastly "improvements", there could be a genuine camera. Any opinions?

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally I wouldn't bother. I am no Leica expert, but I'm pretty cagey when it comes to the auction site. Having read this: 'Shutter fires at all speeds but, being no photographer, I have not put any film through it. In my experience only people who use and know cameras use that 'put a film through it' expression, so why would they claim to 'be no photographer'. I could be wrong. But to me thats an Ebay warning sign.

I also seem to remember seeing a wood veneered 'Leica' on Ebay about a year ago.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Personally I wouldn't bother. ... I also seem to remember seeing a wood veneered 'Leica' on Ebay about a year ago.
    Don't worry, I'm not thinking of buying it, I'm just idly curious! There are indeed numbers of "wood-veneered" (sticky-backed plastic?) "Leicas" around, almost all are tarted-up Feds, but this one I just couldn't decide about. There are quite a few wartime Leicas where the original chrome-plating was very poor, this could have been a reason for someone to "restore" the camera. Cameras like this are not worth buying because the internals are made of equally poor materials and are likely to be totally worn out.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oooh!! Isn't that the famous Oscar Barnack Woody Commemorative? I understand it was Mrs. Barnack's favorite.

Looks like it should belong with Tom Abrahamsson's Uncollectibles.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm impressed with a "non-photographer" who manages to get the bottom off an old Leica, but doesn't unscrew the lens. I'd like to know if there's a roller or a wedge under there...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would have my doubts.....

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't seem to recall but the VF window on a Leica is flush with the top of the camera, and a FED/Zorki is not. Looks like it could be a genuine, modified Leica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am no expert, but one thing I noticed, I have two leicas of this vintage and on the top plate where the serial number is, both of mine have the following to designate the serial number "No." with an underline under the "o" this camera has a serial with the designation Nr. Like I said, I am no expert, but I don't remember seeing this designation, both of the cameras I have, have been verified at real leicas by a leica trained repair person.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Fake! Fake! Fake!

Look at the VF window: Sam was just backwards, FEDs have flush windows, Leicas have steps between it and the top plate.
    The shutter release is very Russian.

and good old Oskar never made any Leica front cap in such a gaudy color scheme, not to mention the wood veneer on the body.

It is wholy a fake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well here is a picture of a true leica II from Cameraquest, and I will be darned if I can see the difference in the viewfinder you guys are mentioning..

http://www.cameraquest.com/leica2.htm

But I do agree, the shutter release looks very simular to the russian shutter releases I have seen on the fakes.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin