Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,396   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Experience with Voigtlander Bessa-L and Jupiter-12 Anyone

Hello everyone,

I have just received a Jupiter-12 Lens, in the aim to fit on my Voigtlander Bessa-L M39 box.

But I am afraid that the objective rear protuding lens came in contact with the shutter !

In the waiting of finding a secured method of measuring the size and the one and the other : Is anyone already tried this odd combinaison ?

Best regards,

Raphaël

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The following site http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras says that this lens will contact the shutter on the Bessa R/R2. I would assume that it would also cause problems with the Bessa L since the bodies are very similar. This lens also causes problems with the Canon P and Leica M5, M6, M7, and CL cameras. I personally would not risk it.

Beg, borrow, or buy a locking cable release. Set the shutter speed to B, trip the shutter and lock it open using the cable release. With the camera back open, screw on any lens you wish to check and note where it comes in relation to the shutter curtain guides. These are easily seen from the camera back when the shutter is open. Allow a mm or two for safety.

Be aware that the Jupiter-12 may also block light from reaching the sensing diode on the Bessa and interfere with metering.

See if you can find a Leica 35 mm Elmar. This lens works very well and I use one on my Bessa L all the time. The russians make a very nice 35 mm bright finder. Many of the collapsible 50 mm lenses also work.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nice idea but it doesn't work!

I tried a Jupiter on a Bessa L - screwed it onto the body very carefully but it can only be used at close distances, hits the shutter if you try to focus to infinity.
    The Russian/Ukrainian viewfinders are OK if you have nothing else but the recent Voigtlander or 50's/60's Zeiss finders are much nicer to use.

Cheers, Robin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My J-12 works on my Canon P fine. I think, though, that the Bessa L won't really work. I could be wrong, though.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinP
    The Russian/Ukrainian viewfinders are OK if you have nothing else but the recent Voigtlander or 50's/60's Zeiss finders are much nicer to use.
    One would certainly expect them to be nice at 7 times the cost!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Bessas have a "double shutter", which makes it a tiny little bit thicker than the minimum. Some lenses fit, like the collapsible Industar-22 and IN-50 (I've checked). It's been said that some do not.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi,

Thanks you for the information, Gerald and Robin,

I had already thought about the B-pose and locking cable release, but there is currently a film in the Bessa

With the crude mesure I done on the lens and the Bessa, I think too it will come in contact... So, no 35mm lens for me for the moment.

I would like having a 35 mm Leica, but I am little scared about price !

I have tried the Jupiter-12 on my FED-2b, but curiously, the thread doesn't seem to engage. Maybe I missed something... I will check on Princelle's book, I believe some russian 39mm lens use differents thread steps.

I currently use a Industar-61 on my Bessa, it's work fine ! Thanks for the information about the collapsible 50mm, justly, I have one (on a Mir).

For the finder, I found a very clear VIOOH Leica finder (at reasonable price) a few years ago.

Thanks again, best regards,

Raphael
    Last edited by Raphael; 09-12-2006 at 05:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forget something

Shooter
    Multi Format

Industar-22 on Bessa ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    The Bessas have a "double shutter", which makes it a tiny little bit thicker than the minimum. Some lenses fit, like the collapsible Industar-22 and IN-50 (I've checked). It's been said that some do not.
    The Industar 22 will certainly "fit" on a Bessa R but is not safe to completely collapse into the body. I fitted mine with a couple of rubber O rings to stop it hitting the outer shutter curtains but found it a fiddle to use and have just sold it on eBay.

Cheers, Robin

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Robin, the Industar-50 doesn't hit the shutter of the Bessa-T. It cannot. It stops on the "step" in the bottom of the camera, and even if it didn't it still wouldn't hit the shutter. I've tried, and measured.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Robin, the Industar-50 doesn't hit the shutter of the Bessa-T. It cannot. It stops on the "step" in the bottom of the camera, and even if it didn't it still wouldn't hit the shutter. I've tried, and measured.
    Now as I remember maybe it did hit the "step" rather than the shutter but either way it did hit something and thus was not fully retractable so I fitted the O rings to make sure nothing was interfered with when it was pushed in.
    Thanks for the correction but I still believe the only really suitable collapsible lenses for Bessas are those made by Cosina.

Cheers, Robin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin