Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,662   Online: 740

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

21mm Color Skopar?

Has anybody used this lens? I'm beginning to regret buying this 15mm Ultra Wide Heliar now. I reckon I'm not going to come across many situations in which I'll want to use it. It'd be nice to have some of your thoughts seeing as I haven't used either yet. My screw to m adaptor will be here tomorrow so I can try it out. I'm starting to think it'd be nicer to have a rangefinder coupled ultra-wide which takes the same filters as my 35mm and 50mm summicrons. Oops.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Jarvman

I have the 21mm lens and am very happy with it. I haven't used it extensively but (like all the other V lenses) it is terriffic - very sharp and great contrast. For me, anything wider is just a bit too wide and would not get too much use (no doubt I will eat my words). It's very easy to focus, but almost unnecessary with its depth of field. Oh yes, that viewfinder! Just seems to gather in so much light.

Good luck

Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second what Andrew has to say about the 21mm. It is a very nice lens and a great value. However, since you haven't used the 15mm yet, I would urge you to hold off buying more lenses. The 15mm is a very fun lens and unlike anything else you can get for a Leica M. I would suggest you use it for a while, you might really like it. I have a 15 mounted on a Bessa L and I giggle every time I use it.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Richard, I'll see how it goes with the 15mm. I went and bought a M-Bayonet Adaptor off eBay for almost £40. Today I've seen a Bessa L going for just £60. I feel a bit sick considering I could've bought a whole new camera to use the 15mm with for just £20 more than an adaptor to use it on my R2A. What have your experiences been using the Ultra Wide Heliar and the Bessa L? Any examples of the photos you've taken with it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Bessa L and the 15mm are a perfect match. I used only this combination in Italy several years ago and shot about 30 rolls in 10 days. You learn to get close and shoot quickly, without having to focus. It's a liberating experience. I've also shot with the 21mm on the Bessa L, but not nearly enough to draw any conclusions. The 21 is not as impressive to me. If I want less of an angle, I can always crop the edges of the 15's image. It's sharp enough to make 16x20's using HP-5. I also used the 15mm shooting under the Brooklyn Bridge and around the World Trade Center in early 2001. The results were excellent. Don't sell the 15mm short...it's wonderful and versatile. I try to keep the aperture around 11 and play with the shutter speeds. I do, however, agree with you about ease of the use of filters on the 21.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have and use my 21mm a lot, all the wide stuff in my gallery was taken with this lens. Its a great focal length, and a great lens. I thought the 15mm would be too wide for practical use myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I don't have a scanner so I could show you some photos done with the 15mm Heliar. I like it on the Bessa L, the combination weighs almost nothing and it is very small. Of course, the Bessa does not feel or sound like a Leica, but it gets the job done and is a lot of fun to use. It's not going to last 3 lifetimes as a Leica would, but it was cheap. The 15 is very, very wide and does take some getting used to. I think it is most important to fill the foreground as things in the distance get small very quickly. Because it is so wide it is easy to get very close to people and get them in the photo without their knowing it. Also because of how wide it is objects at the sides of the pictures do get stretched. Some people like this, others hate it. I like it sometimes. I hope you'll give the 15 a good try.

Richrd Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own both the 15mm and the 21mm CV lenses. I purchased the 15mm first, and love its capabilities, but I do use the 21mm more. However, I will definitely keep both. Here are some shots with the 15mm that the 21mm simply could not have done. The first photo is the central horizontal strip from a full frame, so it works as a 100 degree panorama in the long dimension, and some of the falloff has been tweaked in software. The second and third shots were done in such cramped quarters that the 21mm could never have covered the subject.

http://tinyurl.com/m5f2r
    http://tinyurl.com/lgzuz
    http://tinyurl.com/pufan

Give the 15mm Heliar a workout and learn to use it effectively before you give up on it. But don't let that stop you from getting the 21mm if you want it and can afford it. Think of it as owning both a 50mm and a 35mm, or a 35mm and a 28mm.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    I own both the 15mm and the 21mm CV lenses. I purchased the 15mm first, and love its capabilities, but I do use the 21mm more. However, I will definitely keep both.
    Same here. They are far more different than a 6mm difference might lead people to believe. I've had both since they came out. At one point I had three 21mm lenses, Zeiss Biogon 21/4.5, Color-Skopar 21/4, Kobalux 21/2.8. The Zeiss offered no real advantages, so it went, and the Color-Skopar is so much more compact that it sees much more use than the Kobalux. Both are of similar quality by f/5.6; the Kobalux is fractionally better at f/4; and of course there's no content at f/2.8.

I first used the 15/4.5 on a Bessa-L but decided not to keep a separate, dedicated body, principally on the grounds of bulk and weight. I prefer to carry two 'full service' bodies and switch lenses as needed. My two most-used lenses are 35/1.4 and 75/2, so they normally live on the cameras, while both the 15 and the 21 live in the camera bag for use as needed. They're both so small and light that I'm not worried about the extra weight and bulk.

Cheers

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Both lenses are very nice. I prefer the 21 for the wee bit of extra speed for low light, and the coupled focusing helps there too. I like the bright lines in the finder. Such a nice finder!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin