Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,346   Online: 872

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowenburg View Post

While I think of it, how go you guys recondition the outside of your cameras, the metal and the leather or whatever covering is on the body?
    Clean the surface gunk with a bit of cleaning cream (the same stuff used for cleaning computer and electronic appliance surfaces) and an old child's toothbrush.

If the trim looks faded and dull, you can refinish it several two ways: shoe polish for minor moderate dulling or paint over the whole vulcanite/nylon/leatherette covering with quick drying enamel paint.

Ratty leatherette or nylon coverings can be replaced with equivalent leatherette (surface and colour your choice). Sources would be old diary or purse covers. Or you can opt to use real leather like goatskin.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    If you find out how to clean and lubricate the rangefinder coupling on a Fed 2, please let me know. Ive got one that must be all gunked up.

Thanks!
    Which part of the coupling is this? If it's the pivot arm, lightly injecting some lighterfluid in the joints would clean the dirt and probably free it. Then follow up by injecting a very, very, very small amount of very fine oil.

The rf arm could freeze for various reasons other than dirt or lack of oil. It could also mean weakness in the spring which powers it.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'll bet one of the other guys who have contributed to this thread could help out on that. Good luck -- if I do find out I'll post it up.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ZorkiKat View Post
    Clean the surface gunk with a bit of cleaning cream (the same stuff used for cleaning computer and electronic appliance surfaces) and an old child's toothbrush.

Ratty leatherette or nylon coverings can be replaced with equivalent leatherette (surface and colour your choice). Sources would be old diary or purse covers. Or you can opt to use real leather like goatskin.

Jay
    Thanks Jay - by cleaning cream do you mean something non-abrasive, or doesn't it matter? I happen to have a mildly abrasive cleaner which is used on our ceramic stove top, and it works great, never leaves scratches or dulls the finish... might work on a camera too...

Regarding the replacement of coverings - what type of adhesive do you recommend?

Again I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have really learned a lot in a short time, and am now anxiously awaiting my cameras to arrive. Maybe they'll arrive in mint condition and not require any work whatsoever!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowenburg View Post
    Thanks Jay - by cleaning cream do you mean something non-abrasive, or doesn't it matter? I happen to have a mildly abrasive cleaner which is used on our ceramic stove top, and it works great, never leaves scratches or dulls the finish... might work on a camera too...

Regarding the replacement of coverings - what type of adhesive do you recommend?

Again I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have really learned a lot in a short time, and am now anxiously awaiting my cameras to arrive. Maybe they'll arrive in mint condition and not require any work whatsoever!

Yes, the cleaning cream should be non-abrasive. The one which I referred to is just like hand cream- it has the same consistency and is likely just emulsified detergent. It's probably a couple of degrees better than using soapy water alone, but does the same thing, that is to soften stubborn detritus off non-metallic surfaces.

With metal surfaces, you might find success with using metal cleaners. These would be the same stuff you would use for cleaning cutlery and silverware. Fine rusty marks can be cleaned with very fine sandpaper and some jeweller's rouge.

For adhesives, rubber contact cement would be best. That would be known as 'Pliobond' there. In fact, I'm using such an adhesive now to cover my FED with home-tanned goatskin.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZorkiKat View Post
    Which part of the coupling is this? If it's the pivot arm, lightly injecting some lighterfluid in the joints would clean the dirt and probably free it. Then follow up by injecting a very, very, very small amount of very fine oil.

The rf arm could freeze for various reasons other than dirt or lack of oil. It could also mean weakness in the spring which powers it.

Jay
    Its the part that sticks out and touches the lens. It moves very very slowly. I suspect gunked grease.

What kind of fine oil do you recommend?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    Its the part that sticks out and touches the lens. It moves very very slowly. I suspect gunked grease.

What kind of fine oil do you recommend?
    Slow movement may mean a weakened spring. Lubrication may not help.

However if it's just a matter of fossilised grease, clean out with lighter fluid and relube with fine oil. "3-in-1" diluted 1+1 with lighter fluid can work.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A huge thank you to ZorkiKat and everyone in this thread. Some torque with the jewelers screwdrivers, ACP's zorki webpage, and a few drops each of lighterfluid and fine machine oil and my Zorki 4 is back in fighting shape.

Now to learn rangefinder calibration and lens CLA'ing...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've received my 3 FEDs and they appear in generally good shape, though in need of the anticipated cleaning and lubrication. More details on the other thread about Kiev 4 or?

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum65/31516-kiev-4a-rangefinder.html

I've assembled some of the recommended tools and will try to pick up some of the other materials this weekend. Then the fun begins. Actually it's fun already, opening the packages and seeing what's what. They really are nice cameras! (I even like the 5V, which seems to have gotten a bad rep. Hey, how wrong can you go for fifteen bucks? It actually fits in my hand more comfortably than the much smaller model 2a.)
    Regards to everyone-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did anyone mention that you need a TV to calibrate the shutter? I used one to test my fed 2 and concluded one curtain was slower than the other. I didn't dare to touch anything, though so now the camera is unused in a closed.

/matti

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin