Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,243   Online: 1062

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an earlier thread, with a link to another thread within. Though not specifically about the Bessa, they may be some use.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about the earlier Bessas but the more recent models have a film reminder window in the camera back. If using infrared it might be advisable to tape over this window.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah yeah, good tip andy. I'll give it a go some time soon.

I've used a Leica M with Kodak HS Infrared many times with good results. The great advantage is that you can use a visibly-opaque Wratten 89B filter, or an 87C, for a deeper IR effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I don't know about the earlier Bessas but the more recent models have a film reminder window in the camera back. If using infrared it might be advisable to tape over this window.
    If thats a problem use aluminum tape or foil taped over the window. Quite a few brands of black plastic tape are transparent to IR.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the cost of a roll of film why not just load some up and try it?

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used Kodak HIE in a Canon 7 and Canonet G-III for years. No problems with light leaks, and the ability to use an 89C filter (totally opaque) makes a rangefinder an obvious choice.

Jim Bielecki

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Bessa-L (and -T) and IR film are a perfect match. I've used my Bessa-L with the 21mm Color-Skopar and a Heliopan IR 695 filter shooting Maco/Rollei IR 400 using the built-in meter. Exposure is fine with meter set at 400, but 200 gets a little "richer". With the 695 filter it's even fine for hand-held shooting (t least with a 21mm lens).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    In many ways, they are ideal compared to an SLR, because you can use a really dark filter, and it doesn't affect your view at all.
    Quite agree. You can use the totally opaque IV filters without loosing the viewfinder. On a Bessa, though, it just might be worth taping a bit of metal foil over the little window in the back that shows you what film you have loaded, just in case its light seals are not totally IV proof. The metal shutter will be bomb proof.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rangefinders are best with IR

Since the viewfinder is independent of the lens, you could focus and compose easily even when a rather dense, almost opaque filter is over the lens. Deep red filters almost make it difficult to use reflex viewing except in the brightest situations. Using a filter like the IR-72 would make the SLR finder really go blind since the filter is almost totally opaque.

I've used High Speed IR on my Leica M3 without problems of fogging or leaks.
    The last time I had IR film (Ektachrome IR), it went into a bottom-loading Zorki-1. I had to trim the leader in a changing bag and load the camera in it as well. Not really harder than loading the same in other cameras since a changing bag is really required. Both cameras have cloth shutters. The Zorki even had a home-made shutter curtain, and it proved rather opaque even to IR rays.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin