Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,862   Posts: 1,583,175   Online: 719

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rangefinders and infrared film.

Do they mix? I haven't shot any infrared for a while. It'd be nice to shoot some with my Bessa instead of Eos 3, what with the focusing scales and the ultra wides I've just bought. Are the cameras light-tight is all I'm asking really. I'd worry about the film being fogged through the curtain seeing as theres no prism blocking the way.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There is no possible light leak between finder and the film chamber in the rangefinder cameras. They are totally separated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No I know, it's the light leak through the lens I'm worried about.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't understand your question. A light leak would be a problem for any film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most rangefinders I've seen have metal leaf shutters which are totally IR safe. Your only concern would be the door seals on the back of the camera, and you should be pretty safe there as well. Rangefinders are a very good way to shoot IR seeing how you don't need to see through the filter to focus the camera.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Xpan is IR friendly.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are 2 issues here - the shutter curtain (cloth vs. metal) and the camera body (metal or plastic), and possible IR transmission. How much each variable will affect IR is at least in part empirical. It might help to run a roll of IR through *your* camera; "expose" a few blank shots by leaving the camera in the sun for a while with and with out a lens cap (watch out for shutter burns with a cloth shutter) and check for fogging against "normal" IR. Lots of rolls of IR have been run through lots of rangefinder cameras.

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had no trouble running infrared film through Fuji GW and GSW rangefinders.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Bessa has a pair of metal shutters, so I can't think of where a problem could arise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Leica's 1936 instruction manuals give full information on using their cameras with infrared films, and they made three different red filters for that purpose.

In many ways, they are ideal compared to an SLR, because you can use a really dark filter, and it doesn't affect your view at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin