Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,400   Online: 977

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leica IIIc

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes, I remember mine. It has some pitting (english?) defect in chrom plating. A Leica maniac told me that's because the electric supply was unstable for electroplating process due to bombardment of the Allied. Believe or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    The Leica IIIC models made during WWII were generally made of inferior materials and are now in many cases worn-out junk incapable of being repaired. Unfortunately the poor materials extend to the chrome finish and they look really bad! I had one once which I bought cheap, tried and failed to get fixed and sold in the end for around £100, which is dirt cheap by Leica standards.

I have one such IIIc, with a serial number is just shy of the range of the more valuable IIIcK cameras. Got it in almost scrapped state, but otherwise complete, and with an uncoated Summitar 50/2. The vulcanite was gone, and shutter had totally melted into the rollers. I put red blinds in it and pigskin covering. Repair wasn't too complicated, and now its working fine. The chrome finish looks poor compared to earlier/post-war Leica. But otherwise the camera functions just like any other Leica made in better times.

It's been said that the chrome finish in cameras from the war period was poor because the good chrome grades went to arms factories for guns, bullets, and missiles.

The earlier (wartime) IIIc had some features which make it a bit different from the postwar IIIc. There was an extra screw right over the left strap lug (when camera is viewed from the front) which fixed the top-plate to the body. The Rewind switch was raised. The diopter control for the rangefinder had a raised stud. The shutter button used the smaller collar found in the ealier cameras.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Images
    Do internal reflections from the red curtains affect color film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    Do internal reflections from the red curtains affect color film?
    Not at all. I've run lots of colour film in it with no red getting into the pictures. The side of the shutter blinds facing the film is black.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    35mm

Leica 111c

Hey Chris how much are ya willing to spend I have a nice clean one don't really ever use it the only problem is I put my ss # number on the bottom other than that it's nice shot some tri x a few months ago still takes some great pics It's to slow for what i shoot I'm into night stuff and street photos

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a iiib in nice shape. Contact me if you'd like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try a Contax RF. Then at least you'll be carrying the camera of one of the best, Robert Capa. Just finished-up this one yesterday.

1938 Contax II, CZJ 5cm 1:2 collapsible Sonnar
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lets face it, how many people, except for a few real Leica buffs, can tell the various Leica III models apart from a quick glance? I couldn't and I'm a regular IIIa user. OK maybe that's not really in the spirit of the thing but....

David.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin